1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Switch back to regular mode by using Recovery console

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RavenSeldon, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RavenSeldon

RavenSeldon Thread Starter

I had some problems with the sality.aa virus and it corrupted my safe mode. In order to access safe mode i used msconfig- BOOT.INI and checked the checkbox next to /SAFEBOOT. But because of the corruption of my safe mode now computer stuck in a vicious circle ( try to start at safe mode, give a blue screen error and restart again ). So is there any way to prevent safe mode activation at the beginning and start the XP at regular mode by using Recovery console or any other method to stop this cycle, thank you for your advices and sorry for my poor English.

2. fel1x

fel1x

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

"Safeboot" is not the same thing as "Safe Mode". What you have done is add a switch to the boot.ini file.

Do you have a floppy drive? If you do, all you need do is boot up to DOS with this file added to your floppy: Boot.ini Editor

If not, then create a DOS bootable CD with that file included.

Run the program from a DOS prompt and edit out the /safeboot entry.

Or, check with the Recovery Console to see if there is a backup (there will be unless you use Ccleaner or another of those cleaners that remove backups that may be needed at some point). Rename it from boot.bak to boot.ini (after deleting or renaming the current boot.ini).

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Some other options:

See post 4 in this thread, it shows how to use the Recovery Console or a Vista/Win 7 disc to fix this:
    XP Safe mode loop (MSCONFIG)

You can also use an XP Boot CD:
    Download this Zip file:
    XP Boot CD
    extract the XP-Boot-Windows.exe file inside. Double click that file, it will extract a bootable ISO image file named XP-Boot-Windows.iso into the folder you select. This is just a bootable CD with a special boot.ini file on it.

Burn the ISO to a CD, and Boot your PC with it.

It will give you a boot menu with 8 choices, usually one of the first two should work. Just try each until it boots. Then you can edit the boot.ini file to remove the /SAFEBOOT:Minimal switch added by MSConfig.
    To edit the boot.ini file:
    Right click (My) Computer, click Properties.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.
    Click the Edit button under System startup
    (This will open Boot.ini in Notepad).
    You'll see something like this:
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect [COLOR=Red][B]/safeboot:minimal[/B][/COLOR] 

Remove the /safeboot:minimal part.
    Close Notepad, saving the file.

5. RavenSeldon

RavenSeldon Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies especially to TheOutcaste for the simple solution.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/982683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice