1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Switched from slower to faster PC and not its slower

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by blkbeltolson, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blkbeltolson

blkbeltolson Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I did a few searches about slow boots, but nothing seems like the problem I'm having.

I just switched from a MSI KT3 Ultra 2, with a Athlon xp 2000 cpu and 1 gig of ddr 333 memory (2-512 sticks) to a MSI K8T Neo-V with a Athlon64 3700+ and 1 gig of ddr 333 mem, and now boot up time is twice as long.

All I changed was the motherboard and the processor, the memory is the same from the previous board.

I have 2 pcs I use, one is for a gaming computer(as a server,the one I just upgraded) and one I play games on. (MSI K8N - Neo, AMD 64 3400, 1 gig mem).

The old board with the KT3 ultra2 with the xp 2000 cpu would load up to the welcome screen in 45 seconds. Now that I changed it to a faster CPU its slower starting up.

For example, the old one would start up in 45 seconds, now it takes 85 seconds. Since I upgraded, it takes 12 seconds to start the Windows XP load screen, then another minute before it gets to the Welcome screen. Unfortunately I cant compare the faster time from the old once since its dismantled. I did try unchecking ALL start up programs except for Trend Micro and made absolutely no difference.

Could it be possible that previous settings or whatever from the earlier motherboard are slowing it down? Is there a program or utility that logs the start up and shows how long it takes to load each process, so I can possibly see what it is hanging on?

Once again I am new here, and already Ive seen abou 10 programs that I have no Idea what they do.

Just let me know what to download and run, or any suggestions on what could be slowing everything down, and I will do it and post the results.

Also, after the Windows XP loading screen comes up, is it still booting from the BIOS or is it booting from windows. I'm wondering if something in the Bios is making it slow.

Here is the Hijack scan, not that it should matter since the only things that have changed is the CPU, and MB. Memory is still the same.

Thanks..

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 1:38:24 PM, on 7/10/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\pccguide.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTHELPER.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\TMAS_OE\TMAS_OEMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSI\Core Center\CoreCenter.exe
    C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\khalshared\KHALMNPR.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcScnSrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape Browser\netscape.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [pccguide.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\pccguide.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer] KHALMNPR.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LiveMonitor] C:\Program Files\MSI\Live Update 3\LMonitor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Jet Detection] "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\PROGRAM\ADGJDet.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [MixerDef] MixerDef.Exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OE] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007\TMAS_OE\TMAS_OEMon.exe"
    O4 - Global Startup: CoreCenter.lnk = C:\Program Files\MSI\Core Center\CoreCenter.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Logitech SetPoint.lnk = C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\SetPoint.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EC4BF22B-FE8B-40ED-B96B-81E117565CFC}: NameServer = 65.32.5.74,65.32.5.75
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
    O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (PcCtlCom) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcCtlCom.exe
    O23 - Service: Trend Micro Protection Against Spyware (PcScnSrv) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\PcScnSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Trend Micro Real-time Service (Tmntsrv) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\Tmntsrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\TmPfw.exe
    O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (tmproxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDM~1\INTERN~1\tmproxy.exe

--

2. The Hound

The Hound

Did you install chipset drivers for the new board?

You can get them here...

Also, this from the MSI site:

"Main Memory
    • Supports two 184-pin DDR SDRAMs up to 2GB memory size
    • Supports DDR400*/DDR333/DDR266 DDR SDRAM (*Refer to MSI recommended modules)
    • Note: PC3200 (DDR400) maximum 4 banks (2 double-sided) only
    Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
    Example: Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3.
    For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details. "

3. blkbeltolson

hmm...So you think its a memory thing? The bios settings could be wrong, but Im not the smartest at setting bios settings. I'll try to take pics of the bios screens, and the memory configurations.

4. The Hound

The Hound

Pretty smart to take a picture and ask first, I'd say...

5. blkbeltolson

Looked and voltages looked right. Chipset drivers were already installed, im not that new. I'm not an expert on memory so I looked into what you said. Oh and the dram voltage adjust was set to 2.6, and the memory chip says 2.5, so I swithced it to Auto.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. The Hound

The Hound

Not my area of expertise, but that CPU temp looks a bit on the high side...

7. The Hound

The Hound

Can you enable the Cool 'n' Quiet option in the third screenshot? Look around the screen to see which keys (might be + - or pgup pgdown) to change the options.

>>Edit: This may be of interest...

8. blkbeltolson

After days, and finally giving up and planning on dealing with the 75 second start up, I decided to put a slave drive in to get files off of it, and after I installed the slave and started the computer, it started up like it used to...Shocked...I restarted it and timed it. Now its like 10 seconds before the Windows Xp load screen starts, then 20! seconds before the welcome screen!! w0000t! 30 sec compared to 70 sec...Nice.

I guess maybe the bios was set on auto detect, and maybe it was hanging looking for a slave on the secondary cable? Anyway, after adding the slave, its fast again.

Fixed the overheating problem, apparently there was too much thermal compound making it get hot. Cleaned it off and now its running at 32 - 40 C.

9. The Hound

The Hound

That's a likely explanation-have you addressed the CPU temp? 83C is very hot, and the cool 'n' quiet thing might help...

10. blkbeltolson

Yes the problem is fixed, I had to edit my last post, but I guess you replied by the time I changed it. Apparently there was too much thermal compound on the Heatsink/CPU. I took it out, cleaned it, and now it runs at 39 degrees Celcius.

Plus I enabled cool and quiet :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice