Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Switches and DHCP

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Doghnut 
#1 ·
Apologies if this a repeat -- I searched the forum and found no duplicates.

I run a smallish LAN at work (30-70 computers depending on the day). I am having a problem with connecting to my DHCP server through an unmanaged switch.

I have only one ethernet port in a particular room and need to connect 3-4 computers through that port. It is my understanding that an unmanaged switch should do the trick (correct me if I'm wrong).

The problem I have is that I cannot get more than 2 computers to get an IP from DHCP. It's a different two computers everytime -- it just seems that it's a race to the DHCP server and once two computers get there, the others are locked out.

Various things I have tried:
-Static IPs have no bearing.
-Forcing a NIC to use reduced speeds makes no difference.
-The switch is Auto-MDIX
-The problem persists whether using regular switch ports or the uplink port.
-I have also tried a second switch I own with the same problem.
-Windows firewall is disabled and turning off anti-virus makes no difference.
-My scope has not run out of IPs.

Is there something I am missing here? I feel like the problem is simple or fundamental and I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

See less See more
#2 ·
That is very strange. Right now, I am as puzzled as you are.

With this setup, how many switches are there between the affected PCs and the router/gateway?

From the room with the 4 PCs, how far is the next upstream device (switch/hub/router)?

I guess you already know that as a last ditch, you can go with the DHCP reservations, and then statically configure each of the PCs for the DHCP server's reservation? With this setup, I would be interested in knowing if the 4 PCs can then all simutaneously ping the gateway IP (ping -t [gatweway'sIP]).

#3 ·
Sorry for the long time in response -- I appreciate the help Pedro.

Of course, I had this problem for weeks and as luck would have it, I figured it out as soon as I posted here. It turns out that each of our ports runs through a set of Cisco switches which are much more intelligent than I previously thought. I had to configure each port to accept the correct connection.

I will mark this thread as solved in case anyone else ever experiences a similar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.