1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: switching from XP to 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bsnider, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I have a good backup on McAfee backup (Mozy) with my computer running XP. I got a bunch of Trojans and decieded to clean out the computer and install Windows 7 (already paid for it). Now I am trying to restore Outlook Express emails from XP to Windows Live Mail. So far, I haven't been able to find where the emails are and can I restore them into Windows live Mail? HELP!!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    For Windows XP, they (.DBX files) may have been stored in the following location on the C: drive:

C:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long string of text and numbers}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Not sure if your backup picked them up from that location or where it might have put them.

3. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I found them, but, now I can't open them or move them into my Live Mail. If I can read them, I can just copy and paste them into my word processor and be done with it. Is there something that can read them?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  5. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I don't have Outlook Express on this machine any more, so their fixes won't work. I tried my Open Office, but it won't touch it.

6. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I found "DBXTriever" with a 3 day trial. It solved the problem and I guess I will have to pay the $30 to keep using it.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you would rather pay $30 for the software instead of following EAFiedler's free method of using the "File > Import > Messages > Outlook Express 6 > Import mail from an OE6 store directory" function in Livemail, then so be it.

8. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I don't have Outlook Express on my machine. If I had it, the problem would be solved. With Wiindows 7 on the machine, is there any way I can get a free copy of Outlook Express on the machine as well.

9. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  10. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

Dave,

I have the email files from "restore" using McAfee's backup system. I now have Wiindows 7 and therefore can not put Outlook Express on this machine. I only need to read and occasionaly do a copy and paste with some of the emails. I can't read or copy them using Live Mail, so that $30 program is one answer, but, I would prefer to NOT spend money. Apparently these Trojans that caused this problem sent out a lot of emails. I will start another thread to discuss that.

11. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    That is right, all you need to do is have the "DBX" files so you can access them.

In my link above, go to the third paragraph and start there, the first two do NOT apply to you.
    Read the whole set of instructions and even print them out.
    This will import ALL of your emails from the "dbx" files into Live Mail.
    You do not need to spend this $30.00 to do the import.

12. bsnider

bsnider Thread Starter

I have the dbx files from the restore function, but Live Mail will not import them. Your link quoted "Regarding "DBX" files, they have been abandoned in WLM." The Live Mail import function does show Outlook Express 6. I am guessing that I didn't have 6 or something else is messing me up. The error message says, "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open." The file has the .dbx ending and I have closed everything, still can't get it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!