1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Switching hard drives problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jfriedlund, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfriedlund

jfriedlund Thread Starter

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not the most computer literate, so maybe someone can help me. My old computer (used as a backup at work) stopped working, the power supply apparently went out and fried the motherboard. I've purchased a used machine and it said the hard drive had been wiped clean, no operating system. I thought I could just switch the hard drive from my old machine, which had Windows XP on it into the machine I purchased. However when I start it up I get a warning that "something apparently has changed...." and offers the choice of going into safe mode, last good configuration or simply to restart windows. No matter what choice, it just loops back to the same choices.

Now, I have noticed, it may not be anything, but it just didn't look right to me. When it's going through the startup process I see "Primary Master Disk HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capacity Disabled" Does that sound correct? If not, how do I change it to enabled?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. jfriedlund

Thanks for the quick reply, I think I'm ok now.

4. jfriedlund

Well, thought I had it solved, but it's not. I used the restore disk that came with the computer, it says windows was restored correctly and to reboot, but I still end up with the same three options, boot to safe mode, boot to last known working configurtion or restart windows. All three just loop me back to the same three choices. Suggestions?

5. KingCody

KingCody

the only real way to fix it s to perform a clean installation of windows. you cannot just switch a drive to a completely different system and have it work like normal. sometimes you can perform a "repair install", but as you found out, half the times, it doesn't work, and you will continue to have problems even if it allows you to boot up.

reinstall the drive that your "new" system came with as master and slave your old drive. perform a clean install of windows onto the blank master. once installed, you should be able to boot up and access your other drive with all it's info on it

p.s. when you install XP on the blank drive, make sure you format using the same file system as your other drive

6. norton850

norton850

If you used a restore disc it most likely just put back the drivers for your original MB so in fact you're in the same situation as you were originally. I'm not sure there is any solution for this other than buying a full retail copy of WinXP as you can't really do a clean install with a restore disc.

SMART would be enabled in the system BIOS.

7. jfriedlund

Well, I used a "restore disk" from my Dell computer, it loaded it ok, and now it thinks this generic computer is a dell, but everything loaded ok and is working fine. Thanks for you help.

8. norton850

norton850

I don't understand how a Dell restore disc would work. Does anyone have an explanation?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The DELL disc isn't a restore CD. Its just a re-branded Windows XP installation CD.

10. norton850

norton850

Yes if it is not really a restore disc that would work.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!