1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Switching hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rixanne, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rixanne

rixanne Thread Starter

Hi, first post here.

I bought a new hard drive after my WD started giving massive errors indicating that it was failing. I bought a new drive and quickly imaged my WD onto my new Seagate. I transferred the image and rebooted, everything was fine, both drives showed up.

But then I don't know what I did, but I did something, because when I shut down my machine and removed my old WD (to send it in via RMA), my system wouldn't boot.

I don't know if I should make a different partition active? or is it physical, like I have to physically switch a cable or a jumper or something?

I provided a screen shot of my disks so maybe someone could help. It's been over a month and it's drivin me nutso.:confused:

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi rixanne and welcome to TSG.

You need to make the G partition active, just right click it's rectangle and click 'Make partition active' then click on 'Yes'.

There could be another problem but try the above first.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Exactly how did you accomplish this task? Did you by chance use the free version of acronis from WD?

Rebooting with both drives still installed is a mistake. This results in wrong drive letters, no boot condition, etc.

4. rixanne

rixanne Thread Starter

Yes, I used acronis

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you clone with acronis, it has to be done in the following order;
    1 Boot with the acronis boot cd/flash drive. While it is possible to do a clone from within windows, booting with the boot disk removes windows from the issue. I always recommend doing any clone or image restore from the boot media.
    2 Choose to clone disk. Choose source [old drive] and destination [new drive] Note new drive must be blank ie no partition or formatting. If you have info on the drive, make sure you delete ALL partitions on the new drive.
    3 Complete the clone process
    4 Shutdown and remove the old drive. Rebooting with both drives connected results in a failed clone [drive letters incorrect, failure to boot, etc]

Failure to use the above procedure results in a failed clone.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!