1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: switching HD's in Emachine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by New2XP, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New2XP

New2XP Thread Starter

I would like to use the same hardware (including same bios) as two different machines.

I have the harddrive from another machine that I would like to trouble shoot.
    Will the bios allow me to just plug in the harddrive of the other machine in place of the existing one? The other machine was working ok I need to clean up some of the trash
    without carrying the whole machine home.

My machine is a T-1140 Emachine
    1.1ghz celeron
    384 Ram
    XP home/sp2
    20gb HD
    Bios- Phoenix 1.03 (03/06/2002

The other machine
    Gateway unkown
    processor unknown
    XP pro w/sp2
    160gb HD
    512 Ram

If this is workable I might be looking for a multipoint switch.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

No--you cannot switch hard drives without a repair install at the least.

If you want to troubleshoot it with diagnostics, however, you can put the one you want to check into another machine and run the diagnostics on it, however.

But no, operating systems are configured specifically for the hardware they are currently using. Moving them is actually a tough job.

Also, with those branded systems, you are prevented by the EULA from moving your operating system to another machine--AND you almost certainly don't have a genuine XP disc with which to perform the repair install. Those recovery disks will not function unless they see the BIOS from the machine they were issued for.

3. New2XP

New2XP Thread Starter

Thanks
    Saved me a lot of needless effort. I will put it into an external USB enclosure and try to clean/defrag it that way.

Phil

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538309

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice