1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Switching off the Windows sounds?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mr Red, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr Red

Mr Red Thread Starter

We have a new sound studio at Stroud FM and there are distinct clicks getting through when the OS opens or switches to a different window. It may be that the sounds have been set to "no file" and the app is calling for the sound and accessing the sound API only to not get and use any sound file (as per setting). If the sound card &/or its DLL's are responding to this it would be logical.

You know how they say "never volunteer". I didn't but I was volunteered against.

I suggested it was as described above and I had seen a way to switch all sounds and prevent the OS trying to do anything in the way of sounds in response to apps and warning nags therein.

I saw it on TV so I can't even get back via any history or audit trail.

Can anyone suggest a good explanation of this. It has to be fairly precise because it is somewhere in the registry. Hence the probable need for the URL showing an explanation.

on behalf of http://www.stroudfm.co.uk

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Ahh you need to turn off or set to none the Windows Explorer Start Navigation sound event.

Go to Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices | Sounds
    in the Program Events window scroll down to Start Navigation (its listed under Windows Explorer) set it to NONE andApply the changes

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why not just turn off the system sounds? The click is most likely the sound associated with explorer navigation.

4. Mr Red

Mr Red Thread Starter

The guy is no slouch and given that this is a live Radio feed source I would not expect him to miss the Program Event wheeze. The studio has hosted several live events so he would have wanted that setting sorted before the PC had the jingles Cart app loaded.

The wheeze I was referring to was most definitely one step up. The TV geeks had described the Program Events setting and reported that there were still sound events that the OS could invoke that the Control Panel could not prevent. They showed the Registry and defined the KEYs to look for and the attribute to set. Either the Gadget Show (ULK Ch 5 & less likely) or the BBC News24 'Click' programme, probably only in the UK. They have web pages - I will investigate.

I don't think it is a click as such, more a quiet whoosh. Just about acceptable in the trial phase.
    My first offering was "ground loops" associated with the video cards (two) and the current they draw. He was not so sure but I have seen it so many times. There is quite a spectrum flying round on the 5 & 12 volt rails, and noticeable surges going on there.

I have seen PCI cards moved around the motherboard to cure these kind of annoyances, but this may not be an option.

5. Mr Red

Mr Red Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice