1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Symantec Antivirus w/Gaming Issue

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Drama, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drama

Drama Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,

Thank you in advance for any suggestions for my problem. I am kinda a rookie when it comes to tweaking antivirus and ad-ware software. I'm using Symantec Antivirus on my computer (XP Pro w/SP2) and it has actually be working very well. I always update the definition file when a new one is present and run daily quick scans and weekly full scans.

Last night out of the blue, the Auto-Protect flagged my gaming site as a Trojan. I have been using this game site, via Steam, for about a year without any problems. I know I don't have any viruses on my machine and I have not changed anything recently. When I launch the Steam service, the Symantec Auto-Protect screen appears and labels the Steam ~.tmp files as Trojans. It then, of course, prompts me to take action against these files. I have tried permanently deleting and or ignoring these files and retrying the Steam engine, but Symantec just finds the new ~.tmp files in C:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temp folder. I have uninstalled/reinstalled and updated the definition file Symantec and it did not help. I have an option to exclude the temp folder, but I thought that would be unwise given all the junk that is out there.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening and how I can get this resolved?

Thank you again,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice