1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Symantic Email scanning

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by 1stressedguy, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1stressedguy

1stressedguy Thread Starter

Being a computer idiot ... I'd like to ask a stupid question. I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and run "live up-dates" often. When I send a Email and then the "pop-up" comes up that states "scanning message" (10%.. 20%.. 30% and so on)... why, at times, the progress gets to 98 or 99% and hangs up at that point and doesn't complete the scan to 100%? If it never progresses to the 100%... am I correct to assume that it isn't sent? I hope I made my question clear. Thanks, 1stressedguy.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If it's not sent, then it will still be in your outbox?

Mind you we have no idea what email program is being used here..... info would help!

I do not have scanning set for outgoing emails.

Incoming are scanned, my PC has active scanning of all files that are accessed, so if the AntiVirus program never captured it on the way in, or when any attachment was opened to email it, then it sure as hell will not detect it when it's being sent!

It's a redundant action if you think about it.

3. 1stressedguy

I know I am a dumbass when it comes to computers... maybe just a dumbass PERIOD!!!! The only way I have been able to learn what I have is to rely on information that someone else gives me. Be it right or be it wrong. I'm sure that someone in your position could give someone like me some bad info and could end up having a good laugh over it. I am a disabled heart patient and only draw SSI which is only a little bit so I can't afford the luxuries of the finer things and the latest and greatest. The computer I use is one that was given to me by a friend that upgraded to a better one for himself. I use dial-up because it is the cheapest service. I know it is an older computer but it is all I can do now. I use "Outlook Express", have Windows XP Professional, and an old "Gateway" computer. Everything that is on it is the way it was set up when I got it. It has NortonSystemWorks 2003 which I run the "live up-date" often.
    When I send a Email the thing (and being a computer idiot, I do not know what it is called), a "balloon" I suppose... pops up at the lower right hand corner of the sreen and says "scanning message 1 of 1"(and shows the 10%, 20%, 30%...etc.). Eventhough it has left the "outbox", the scanning process continues until it reaches 100% and then the "balloon" disappears. If it gets to a point that it "hangs up" (like I previously stated) and goes no further.. sometimes a notice pops up and says "message not sent" and go to sent file and resend. Even though it shows as sent in the sent file, due to some reason it was not. I've even questioned the intended recipient as to whether they received it or not and am told they have not.
    Like I said... I can only rely on someone else's knowledge and hope the info they give me is good. I do appreciate the fact that there are some sites that one can go to and try to get some help. And I have had good results from this one in the past. But I think you need to realize that everone isn't as compter savy as you.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The reason that the emails don't get sent will be because of the scanning, it can hold up the activity for too long and the connection with the email server is lost, it gives up waiting.

Hence it would be good to disable outgoing scanning, as most people seem to do, for the same reasons.

Hopefully someone will come along and advise just where the setting is in Nortons, as I do not use that program.

Sorry if I sounded to technical or short in the explanation, I had no intention to do so in any way that causes concern.

I was only trying to explain that email scanning of outgoing emails is not really required (in my personal opinion), as its just checking something again that should have already been checked, and will have been as your system is up to date by the sound of it.

Sorry to hear of your health problems, of which I can sympathise to a large degree, as I am battling sinus cancer and also the effects of treatment. Life can be tough some days, as you will know.

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

6. Augie65

Augie65

You can trust the advice given here, someone would jump in and correct any bad advise. I use AVG also, and as posted above have the scanning of outgoing email disabled.

7. 1stressedguy

Thanks for the info. Like I said.... I have to rely on the knowledge of others as to the fact I am so "computer illiterate". In the past, my main source of information has been a cousin of mine. He seems to be computer savy since several times he has talked me through several problems by phone (at times). His knowledge has come by experience having messed around with computers for 8 years or so. He says his expertise has come by trial and error. He is a peculiar fellow in many ways and I do hate to ask him for help on a problem because he is intelligent and ends up spitting out information faster than I can grasp it.. and he ends up getting a little iritated (he says he doesn't but I can tell by the tone of his voice) because I can't respond to his instructions as quickly as he thinks I should. I started messing with a computer in about August of '05 for the first time in my 53 years.... hence, my "computer idiot" status. In all the knowledgable peoples opinion there... is there a better "freeware" virus protection than the Norton 2003 than I am using? And in my opinion (for what it is worth), I think that ya'll feel like that I do not need to scan outgoing mail, as to the fact it was scanned (I suppose) when it came in.
    Another question. I use "Outlook Express". When I open something that was sent to me.. the attachment was removed by "outlook". I do trust my contacts so I open the attachment
    by clicking on "forward"... then I can see the "attachment". Not understanding how all this stuff works... I may be doing something that opens myself up to some kind of problem. I feel like I could use some guidance. I do apologize for my late response. I was not aware that additional posts had been made to my previous post. I normally get a Email acknowledging an answer to a post I made. I felt like I "ticked" someone off. Sorry for the delay. 1stressedguy (Mike)

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

In Outlook Express,
    Tools > Options > Security tab
    Uncheck: Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus
    Apply, OK to save and close.

Let us know if that works for you.

No problem with a delay in answering, at least you did post back, some people never reply back. :eek:

The tone of the replies doesn't sound like anyone was ticked off. I wasn't ticked off. :)

9. 1stressedguy

Thanks... that did allow the attachments to come through. Is there a better "freeware" that might do a better job at virus protection than Norton? I read where there might be some problems with Norton. Am I right to assume that all Email is scanned when it comes in IF the autoprotect is turned on? I know my questions might sound foolish to you but that is the only way I can find out answers to things I feel like I need to know.

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

E-mail is scanned only if e-mail scanning is enabled.
    If you keep your anti-virus program updated and you click on an attachment that contains viruses your anti-virus program should warn you.
    If your anti-virus program is not updated regularly, you will only be as protected as the last update.

When opening attachments, the best way is to save the attachment to the Desktop, right click the attachment on the Desktop and select: Scan with (anti-virus) program before opening the attachment.

No problem with questions, that's why this forum exists.
    If you are interested in trying another anti-virus program, you can find some here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html

As I stated earlier, I use AVG Free, I have tried AVAST (free edition), but I am more comfortable with AVG.
    Running two anti-virus programs at the same time is not considered wise as they may interfere with each other.
    You will probably want to uninstall Norton, if you decide to try another anti-virus program.

11. 1stressedguy

Could you give me instructions (step by step) as to how to accomplish saving the attachment to the desktop?

12. 1stressedguy

I have no idea how but somehow I managed to find the answer to the last question I posted on my own. It will take a bit getting used to.... (saving the attachment to the desktop and having Norton scan it there instead of opening it first)..... seems to be a little inconvenient but maybe in time will not. I guess that it is safer.

13. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Any other questions? :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/472918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice