1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Symbols as operands?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by JiminSA, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

Now this is a real noobie question...

I have seen various symbols used in php code (e.g. -> :: =>) - does anyone have a tutorial type link that will give me a simple explanation of all these usages?

Thanks in anticipation...:)

2. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

Morning James,

I'd try this one out for size first - it's a table of all the common PHP operators.

If there's something you've seen that is not here then there's a good chance it's all about 'Objects', in which case this beginner's tutorial might be worth a look if, like me, you don't do the whole new fangled, object oriented melarchy...

(note to self - really must get round to catching up with the rest of the world at some point)

Danny

3. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

Cool Stuff Danny:cool: But it doesn't explain the 3 operands I originally queried.. (maybe the second link does, but I'm loathe to go through all the videos, because of the load on my expensive ISP Capacity)
    Ta, anyway;)

4. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

OK - Here's the breakdown of these three for all those who "Didn't see the HTML link" at the bottom of that previous page ;)

1. Is the accessor Operator, used to access properties and methods of PHP objects Example: "$thisObject->name;" is the name property of the object $thisObject...
    2. Is the "Scope Resolution Operator (also called Paamayim Nekudotayim) or in simpler terms, the double colon, is a token that allows access to static, constant, and overridden properties or methods of a class." - Pass!
    3. Is the "Associative Array Thingy", used for $array=["key" => "val"];

Danny

5. JiminSA

JiminSA Thread Starter

:eek: I did find similar descriptions, explaining in "phpspeak" (which I have not yet mastered) - is there a phpspeak to noobiespeak translator??;)
    Thanks for the 1st and the 3rd explanations - the second?:confused: - guess I'll have to find that translator!:D

6. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

When you do mate, send me the link... :)

Danny

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1050844