1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Symbols sometimes don't show in browser mode

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by piscespassion, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

I'm building a site on my laptop using a downloaded template and PageBreeze Editor. There are a few glitches I run into, and because anything's possible, I'll wonder (depending on the glitch) if it's the template, the editor, my browser, or my laptop.
    In this particular case, the glitch is this:
    The template has a footer with the designer name, and a copyright symbol. Sometimes the symbol views correctly as "©" in HTML/browser mode, and sometimes it is replaced by a parenthesis as "(".
    Now, laptops can't do alt codes like desktops (apparently?) so I "copy/paste" symbols from a notepad file I have saved with all the alt codes.
    What can be the problem? Sometimes they come out right, and sometimes they don't. Would it maybe make a difference if I save the alt code file in Unicode? Or could it be the editor?
    Thanks for all help!!
    Rosa~

2. ehymel

ehymel

Use this for copyright symbol:

©

You have probably inserted as a symbol in a font available on your laptop but not on desktop (or vice-versa).

3. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

The html "entity" you gave me is correct, so thank you!
    Also, I just learned that's what they are called, and if anyone else wonders how this is done, here's the link I found helpful:
    http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/02/write_symbols_and_special_characters_in_html/

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice