Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: synch apps

804 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
got a new external hd to ferry around my data. Was wondering if there were any freeware synching apps that were any good out there. I keep a folder on my hd at home call 'all', and treat that as my root, so when I back up all my data, I just back that folder up. However, I've found that since I've got this external enclosure, I'll d/l some app I find here to the hd, but not to my folder at the house, or vice versa, and was wondering if there were any freeware synch apps out there. I've googled and found a vew, but want some opinions here, as I've also found that that ofter works better than trial and error on my part. :)

tia,

v

#4 ·
There are lots of others, but that one is free and does a decent job. My only complaint is that it won't remove empty folders on the target if they've been deleted on the source. There are also a number of sync options to choose from.

If that is too limiting, I'd consider spending the $30 for BeyondCompare, the application I use for most of my sync runs. It's very powerful and has a ton of flexibility.

#5 ·
nah, this is more to keep track of school stuff that changes when I work on it away from home, and anything that I add to the home rig that changes when I work at home.....for instance, last night at school I added about 4 pages of notes towards the server section of the mcsa, while at home, at had had added about 40 pics of version 2.0 using the 'big boy' potty. so I want to make sure that both drives are synched weekly just to make sure that the data is backed up correctly on both sites. If the enclosure fails, I can get a new one and start from jump, and if the hd fails, I have all my data backed up on the enclosure.

Beats the old system of backing up to dl dvd's every month and using a safety deposit box.

#6 ·
I think SyncToy will be more than capable of this task. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

#7 ·
did the trick perfectly; I had to install .Net but it worked flawlessly. Thanks again for the pointer, jw, as always.

You know, between here and work, I've learned more than the last 2 years of night classes. Funny how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.