1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: 'Syncing' hard drives or folders

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elviza, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elviza

Elviza Thread Starter

I was wondering if there is a quick way (or even a not-quick way) to 'cross-sync' two hard drives (or certain folders on two drives) if they each contain a lot of the same stuff but let's say there may be some items that exist only on one or the other drive and you want to sync so that both drives keep all their info and end up with everything on each without losing anything?

For instance I had music in two folders- a lot of it was in each folder but then I had added other stuff to one and I went through manually to see what matched up and what folders I needed to copy over- I guess I could have copied the entire music folder and told it to overwrite any same files but that's a little scary when it's a huge number of files, and it made me wonder, what if I also had a few things on drive 2 that weren't on drive 1? Just trying to make sure I have two back-ups of everything without having to look through every single folder to compare. Thank you.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    WHen it gives notice of duplicate files, Put a check mark in "Do this with remaining # files", then select skip. It will copy the files not present into the new folder but skip files that would be duplicates.

3. Elviza

Elviza Thread Starter

Thank you- I knew to do that when adding files to a folder, but didn't know if there was another method when getting both entire drives or larger numbers of folders to share info with each other in both directions. But, I guess it works so may as well go with it! Thanks again. :eek:)

4. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

There's software that will do this. Two that I can recall offhand are SyncToy from Windows PowerTools and Robocopy (command line) now included with Windows 7.

5. Elviza

Elviza Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check those out as well. :eek:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice