1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: sys file getting full

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Brigham, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3892 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1722 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 51200 MB, Free - 1905 MB; D: Total - 251992 MB, Free - 55386 MB;
    Motherboard: FUJITSU, FJNBB06
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I have recently looked at "my computer" my HDD seems to have two drives. One is "Data" which has 54 GB free of 246 GB The other is "System" Which has 1.86 GB free of 50GB. This doesn't seem much. When I looked at the content of the system, the pagefile.sys has 3,985,976KB. This also seems a lot. Is there anything I can do about any of this, or is it all OK?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

All those facts & figures look fine :)

The page file size matches the amount of RAM you have which is correct, but you may consider shifting some of your data to an external drive so you can increase the size of the System partition before it runs out of space, with only 1.86GB free it could soon fill up if you install any more software and the system will start to pop up warnings that drive space is running out.

3. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

Mark1956
    How do I do it. I can increase space if I knew how.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

5. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

I have now got 2.83GB which is as good as I can get it. When I did the command prompt method, I got this message. "There is not enough usable space on the specified disk to extend the volume."

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Perhaps you could copy some of your data to a flash drive and optical disks [ duplication for backup protection ], then use Mark1956's tip; then copy the data back.

Sometimes the workspace is too small [ insufficient HDD space ] to even perform your task. Don't ask me. I wasn't in the room when the topic was discussed during W7 development. :)

RF123

7. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

Would it help if I got some more ram? I have 3892MB according to TSG info. I expect there is space for quite a bit more.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

B :
    More ram is generally a good thing, but to your specific issue, no

I use the following analogies:
    Think of your HDD as a closet. When you run out of room, you need to remove some items, or use a larger closet, or an additional closet.

Think of your ram as a work area. Once the work area is covered with projects [ papers, model trains ] , you need a larger work space.

More ram will allow your computer to work more efficiently.

The version of W7 installed is 1 of the determining factors.
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7, section Physical Memory Limits

The other is the motherboard.
    I use www.crucial.com to determine the maximum amount of ram recommended by the manufacturer.

HTH

RF123

9. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

I have to go out tomorrow so it will be Friday before I can try to get to grips with my problem. As you can probably guess I am not very good with computers. Thanks roe all your help so far.

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

As you have stated you used the Command Prompt method I take it you didn't try to use the EaseUs tool. Using the Command prompt is limited in the same way as using Windows disk Management and makes it difficult to move free space from one partition to another, the EaseUs tool overcomes this restriction.

With nearly 3GB available on your system drive you should be fine until you add more software, but you can install software on the other partition if you need to. If you think you may soon end up using all the available space the best move is to shift data you don't need to access very often on to an external drive or upgrade to a larger hard drive and clone the drive onto it to avoid having to reinstall everything. I think EaseUs also do a free tool for that, but there are others out there.

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

M:
    Interesting sounding tool.

I use Acronis True Image 11. It allows me to clone my HDD without risking a corruption to W7 during an install of ATI.

Thanks for the tip about EaseUs. :)

RF123

12. Mark1956

Mark1956

I actually use Paragon Hard Disk Manager which will clone drives and do anything you want with partitions, move, resize, create and delete, but it isn't free.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

Nor is ATI. I apologize for not mentioning that. I don't know their current pricing. I think I paid in the range of 45 Euros.

RF123

14. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

I actually got the increase with the EaseUs tool. I wasn't able to back up the system drive, as it wasn't on offer. Only the data one was. I didn't have any problems. It was the command prompt method that gave me the message. I will try some more RAM. Tell me, is it really advisable to get a matched pair or is this just a con to get you to spend more?

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

The best performance will be with ram of the same speed.

What speed is your ram?

www.crucial.com has a feature that will help, free to use.

RF123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice