1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SysMain(superfetch) process

Discussion in 'Networking' started by petredragos, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petredragos

petredragos Thread Starter

Do you guys know what does this process actually do? I can see it eats more than 120 mb of my RAM. I did a google search but still am not sure whether it's safe to stop it or not.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Superfetch improves the speed of starting some of your programs. Want to see it in action? Go to Windows\Prefetch. Delete the contents of that folder. Start a program, like Microsoft Office or Internet Explorer. Note the time it took for the program to start. Now close it, and open it again. Note how much faster it opens.

Note that if you are using a ReadyBoost drive, this trick won't work. A copy of the prefetch is on that drive.

Here is a quick explanation: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/superfetch.aspx.

By the way, don't disable it. It is actually very useful and will reduce its RAM footprint if your system needs it.

Remember: Free RAM is wasted RAM.

Courtney

4. petredragos

petredragos Thread Starter

Do you think that it's eating too much ram(between 120 and 180, maybe 200 mb) considering that i have 4gb of RAM?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I don't even have it running in my system. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/881473