1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System boots but can't access C:?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by topazbest, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

System boots fine to XP PRO. When I try and access files on C: drive ( OS is on F: drive), I get an error that the HARD DRIVE IS NOT FORMATED? I cannot access any file on C: drive at all. I tried running DEFRAG on this drive and get an error about 2 files that non readable, etc. How can I access the drive to delete the files, I tried SAFE MODE but same problem. Norton shows no virus?

2. Sponsor

3. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

What does disk managment show for all the volumes installed on your sytem. Type/File System

What happen if you go to start/run and type cmd <enter>

at the command prompt type C: <enter>
    dir <enter>?

4. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

When I type C:, it says the following:

The volume does not contain a recognizable file system.Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Thoughts?

5. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

F: drive returns a directory of F drive, etc. I can access F drive fine.

6. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

The problem drive is a slave drive C:, my primary boot drive is DRIVE F and it boots to XP PRO just fine. Never had a problem using the slave drive, have a lot of data on there, just trying to recover.

7. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Anybody?

8. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

It is hard to help if you don't follow instructions.

PC_Wiz gave you a great suggestion but you responded without providing the information. The easiest way to get to disk management is put this in the RUN line
    diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Please report back what is listed here as far as drive letter, capacity and what state the drive is in.

You also mentioned "Never had a problem using the slave drive, have a lot of data on there, just trying to recover. "

Youi need to tell us the full story. Clearly you reinstalled XP. Did you have access to this drive before the reinstall? Can you access the c: via a floppy boot?

9. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Read POST #3. When I try to access C:, it responds that "The volume does not contain a recognizable file system.Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.". Windows Explorer shows DRIVE C: and MY COMPUTER show C:, but cannot access any part. DRIVE C: is shown as FAT32, while my primary drive F:, contains XP PRO OS, etc...shows the other type file system NT, etc. DRIVE C: 40 GIG MAXTOR, PRIMARY DRIVE F: is WESTERN DIGI 80 GIG...I use the C drive to keep files, etc. Machine boots just fine, just cannot access C: drive to peel off files, data, etc. I tried CHKDSK,and also SYTEM RESTORE, ....all are unable to read the drive. This drive worked properly for approximately 1 year. I began writing a file to the drive overnight, got up in the morning and the file was LOCKED on the screen....reboot, exhibited the dreaded UNABLE TO ACCESS C type errors. Need more info?

I called up the DOS window in XP...still no access to C: drive.

10. JustOneOldMan

JustOneOldMan

When your computer is booting up can you go into the BIOS screen and make sure the computer is recognizing that drive properly? Same thing with Windows up, run the disk manager as Wanderer suggested. The disk manager should tell you if it's still a correctly recognized partition. If all that's good, then it sounds like just a hard data crash/corruption...

11. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

OK, THANKS FOR THE REPLY!!!!
    RAN DISKMGK from the RUN PROMPT: Here are the results for the problem drive (C:), slave unit:
    VOLUME:C
    LAYOUT:pARTITION
    TYPE:BASIC
    FILE SYSTEM: THIS IS BLANK
    CAPACITY:38.16
    FREE SPACE:38.16
    FAULT:NO
    OVERHEAD:0%

At the bottom of the screen the C: Ddrive shows HEALTHY but the area is greyed out.

See anything I can do?

12. JustOneOldMan

JustOneOldMan

Somebody else may have a different opinion, but it looks like the computer believes your drive/partition is empty. If there's no file system you're not going to be able to read anything. If there was data on it the night before and the next morning it looked like that, I'd say it crashed pretty hard on you. My next move would be trying one of the drive/partition restoration utilities in read only mode just to see what it finds...

13. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

Yes, this problem drive has data on it. I use it to store data, etc...used as a slave unit. If I can just peel some files off of the drive I would be happy, doesnt appear I can get it back to full operational. Any suggestions or points on this would be hellpfull. I don't suppose there is a utility to RE WRITE the file system, etc.?

14. jmg3204

jmg3204

try this:

1. Right click the faulty drive.
    2. click on "format..."
    3. check "quick format"
    4. press ok

This might work. no gaurantee though.

since its a slave device, you can always google "disk formatter" and download a third party program that formats a the harddrive as a storage device. It will probably delete any of the data you have on it already.

15. topazbest

topazbest Thread Starter

If I reformat the drive, wouldn't I lose all the data on there now? I need some type of utility that can re-write the info it needs to access the files. The computer "sees" C drive, but cant access due to the corrupted file structure,etc.

16. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Well yes you would lose all the data. I would recommend trying to import the drive at this point if that is an option.

Problem here is we still don't know how you got here which could give us a clue as to how to correct the issue.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!