1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Cannot Aquire Network Adress Netgear Wireless Adaptor

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Seshey, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seshey

Seshey Thread Starter

Hi! I have had to reboot my computer recently due to possible infection and whilst before my wireless connection was absoluley fine now I am having problems. I have connected the adaptor as instructed by Negear and it can find the network, but will not allow me to aquire a network address. I have two laptops (and i-phones) on the network and all these appear to work OK so I assume that the router and modem are working fine and the problem lies with the settings on my computer. When I go onto properties of the connection I find the IP/TP protocol and this is set up to get IP address automatically. When I input a manual IP address it says that it is connected but I cannot get onto the internet. I am totally confused. I managed to get it set up before but don't know where to go next. Any suggestions would be extremley appreiated.

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

1st suggestion is to re-install your wireless adapter. Does it have manufacturer software or are you using windows zero config for your wireless?

as a side note, what are you using for anti-virus/firewall/security software?

3. crashoverider

crashoverider

Hi Seshley ,

As far as your router and modem is concerned its working fine because the othere devices connect to it without any problems .
    I believe your able to see the network on the computer where your having the problems ..
    Wat you can do is remove the preferred networks [old networks ] on the computer and try connecting again -This should help .
    As you have already tried assigning an manual ip and it says connected ,but you dont have internet access .
    After assiging an manual ip - Did you ping and check ?
    Example did you try pinging yahoo.com or google.com ?
    Did you ping the dns address ? IE :4.2.2.2 Or may i know wats the DNS address that you have manually assigned on the computer along with the ip address ?

Please send the screen shot !

If not sometimes reinstalling the drivers for the adaptor might also help :)

Thanks

4. Seshey

Seshey Thread Starter

Thanks. I will try these suggestions! In response to some of the queries I have set up the network adaptor using the Netgear set up, but have seen on other threads that using the Windows Wizard sometimes works. In terms of firewall, when I set up the adapter it stated that a firewall was in place, but before I had to reinstall the operating system I was using Zonealarm firewall. I haven't yet reinstalled this. Is it best to disable this when trying to connect?

5. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

if your just using the built in windows security, that shouldn't really affect it.

Mite be worth a try taking the firewall down and seeing if anything happens, but i doubt it will change anything.
    certainly however try crashoverider's suggestion of pinging the web addresses etc, and post your results.

6. crashoverider

crashoverider

Yeah Seshy you can try that ,but as you said it was working before .
    I would like to know at that point of time did you have the zone alarm installed on the computer ?
    But you can still try there are no as such problems with that .

7. Seshey

Seshey Thread Starter

Many thnaks for all your help. I solved the problem by reinstalling the driver with windows network wizard rather than the netgear setup and it worked straight away. Thanks again!!!:rolleyes:

8. crashoverider

crashoverider

Thats Great !!!!!
    Merry Christmas Seshey :) . Have a nice time ...

9. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

Great dude, glad you got it sorted.
    have a good xmas.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice