1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: system configuration question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bonnieclark, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bonnieclark

Bonnieclark Thread Starter

When I enter "msconfig" into the search box, a window opens that is titled system configuration. Five tabs are shown, and I know that I can choose the "startup" tab and uncheck items to speed up starting and shutting dowm my computer. My question is about the "services" tab. There are sooooooo many items listed here! Can I uncheck any of them and how would I know which ones? Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

No, do not uncheck the Services (that's like disabling them).

If you need to speed up your system by tweaking the services, do it as follows:

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box.

Type services.msc

Press Enter.

Those will be the Microsoft and non-Microsoft services on your computer.

However, I do not recommend modifying the services if you are not computer savvy, especially Microsoft services. The non-Microsoft services are from the programs YOU have installed.

If you feel the irresistible urge to tweak the services, not matter what, at most, change the Startup Type on some services from Automatic to Manual. Do not Disable them.

Here is a guide to the Windows 7 Services (Microsoft):

Windows 7 Services

4. Niclac

Niclac

I agree with Phantom010
    If you disable a service that is needed for Windows or an installed application it will come back and bite you, not a wise option

5. Bonnieclark

Can I assume that everything in "services" is necessary then? Even the items from programs that I have installed? Thanks for your reply.

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Theoretically, Windows should be able to start a service you have changed from Automatic to Manual, when needed. However, it doesn't always do a very good job at it. I would leave the services like they are if I were you. The problems you may encounter may not be worth the small speed increase.

7. Bonnieclark

Thanks for all your replys. I think I'll leave it alone.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1040166