1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Configuration Utility (ghost) "startup Item"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Toti, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Hi guys !!

The other day I opened my msconfig and in the Startup Items I saw a "Turok Registration" :confused:
    This item was unchecked... but... The thing here is that I don't have anymore that game installed in my computer !!

That's why I called (ghost) "startup item":p

I asked to the boyfriend of my roommate to uninstall that Game :mad:
    So then later, I checked and it was uninstalled... but I still see that "Turok Registration" is in my Startup Items :confused:

I try to search in the path of "Command" so i can delete that entry, but i don't find any of those files it says in there,following that path...so how can I delete that entry form my Start up .

Notice that I want to "Delete" for complete that entry no just disable it , because I don't have that game in my computer.

Thansk very much for help and pls. forgive my ignorance at this :eek: and my English, not my first language.

Toti

2. srhoades

srhoades

If you want it removed completely you will have to delete the entry from the registry.

It will beither be in;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run

3. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

I srhoades

Thansk for give feedback and help.

Ok .... so I went to check :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run
    and I didn't found nothing under
    Name-Turok . I just have a Name-"Default" type- REG_SZ with Data (value not set).

and in ;
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run
    I this one I saw my startup items I selected for start but .... I didn't find the Turok name just another Default REG_SZ with (value not set) in between the other Registries of the entries I selected to start up with windows.

Do you think that ... this one that says or appear as NAME- "Default" could be that (ghost) entry of start Turok ?

Thansk for helping me

4. stantley

stantley

Instead of editing the registry get Startup Control Panel which will let you either disable the entry or delete it altogether.

5. Support4U

Support4U

6. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

WOW !!
    Guys Thansk very much !!1

I didn't knew about the existence of this apps. :) nice !!

So pls. tell me which one it's better for the purpose of deleting that entry item "Turok" and if are they going to cause more trouble than fix?

stanley thanks a lot for LINK !!

and Support4U of course I will let u know :) as soon I decide which one it's better to download and try .

Toti

7. Toti

Toti Thread Starter

Hi guys !!
    Before hand I want to say Thank you very much to help me and to point me in the right direction to found solutions to fix this annoyance.

I already visited the link pages for both applications and read about them and analyze the alternatives I have with both.

Now that you guys give me a reference in how those start items and apps. work, I made a little more research about it and found something that maybe can be a little more convenient for my particular case.
    And I found this :
    http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/startup_applications/howtoremove.php

So in my particular case I have to dig a little more into the registries and found it in :

HKLM / Software / Microsoft / Shared Tools / MSconfig / startupfolder / <----and here It's were I found the Key and Subkeys of that Satrtup Item !!
    C:/Docs.and Settngs/Toti/Start Menu/Programs/Startup./Turok Registration.link

I delete the Key and Subkeys and it is gone from msconfig startup !!! (y)

---------------------------------

Thank you very much srhoades !! to give me the clue and Idea to start looking into the right place !! xoxox :) (y)

Thank you Stanley your link and choice of app. I'm going to keep it in my First Aid computer kit ( just in case ) .

Thanks Support4U !!
    Well ...your app. looks ok , but... Is not something that I would keep or use for a long term.

---------------------------------

NOTE:
    I just decide to make it manually ;)
    I feel comfortable and I'm very careful editing my registries , but if ppl. don't know how to... or don't feel comfortable editing their registries, I definitively don't recommend doing it.
    Maybe you want to check into the links of Stanley and Support4U.

-----------------------------------

So in general thank you very much guys !!
    case Sloved !!

Happy girl ...for now :D
    XOXOX
    Toti

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice