Solved: System crash w/ blue squiggly lines on restart

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thaele

I'm currently not at home where I am having this issue, as we can't even get the computer on.. so I am limited to tell you my computer specifications. To begin, it's HP dual processor running Vista. We have an upgraded graphics card (I think it's 8800gt? but that's just a guess at this point) as well as we've upgraded the power thing (sorry I forget what it's actually called but we were advised to run our new card, to upgrade that piece too which we did).

The actual issue with our computer which began yesterday is that upon restart, the background is covered in blue squiggly lines over the entire screen. When I try to click on anything (as far as I can remember the few things we clicked on were MSN, IE, World of Warcraft, Start menu), nothing works and the computer goes crazy. It either gives us a blue screen then restarts, or goes to a black screen and have to manually restart by holding down the start button.

Prior to this happening, I was able to play WoW without any incident. I never have any issues playing my game at all normally and can't think of anything that we just recently downloaded. I know that I recently updated the WoW patch on last teusday but was able to play many days since without any issues.

I once was able to get it into safe mode and ran AVG and Spybot to ensure it was clean and nothing came up. My guess is that it might be hardware and if so, we're lucky that we've got warranty on both the computer and the newer card/power supply.

This morning, when I'd try to start up the computer, it would instantly go to a black screen and nothing. It would show the microsoft load screen but when it's supposed to load the desktop/start up.. it's just black. I'd have to manually restart again.. the computer keeps wanting to do a restart recovery, which we did.. and that didn't help.

I'd like to know what your opinions are.. if it's hardware or the drivers.. or even something else? From what I've seen online, 8800GT seems to cause quite a bit of issues for some people. I've had this card a good year now and never had any problems with it. Now, one thing I do know is that our fan is on quite a bit, so maybe it's overheating :\ though I'm hoping the fact it's on a lot just means that the fan setting is higher. Before we had the new card the fan would go on quite a bit.. so I'm not sure if that's it.

Anyway, any opinions are much appreciated. We're just about to the point to put it back to manufacturer settings but if it is in fact a faulty card, that wouldn't really do very much.

In general I've been able to fix my computers without having to do manafacturer restores and can always get the comp running smooth.. this one is beyond me because the only message I have seen albeit maybe only once or twice was "fatal error, system will restart".. but it doesn't provide me anything to go on.

Sorry if this was long winded.. am trying to remember all I can so that hopefully you all can help me out. I'll try to get more specific system specs when I can get a hold of the hubby at home, he's currently out.

Thanks to anyone who's gotten this far!

thaele

btw, I am new here.. If I happen to be in the wrong area to post this please let me know and I'll post this where it should be or transfer it over. I wasn't too sure where to post this specifically. Thanks!

hi and welcome to TSG this could as you have mentioned be either your card or psu if you have onboard graphics you could try removing your card and booting with on board if you or can borrow a known good psu you can try that

thaele

Hey Joe.. thanks for the reply.

We actually pulled the graphics card and used the onboard graphics. I wasn't there at the time and won't be back for another few days but husband says that the computer seemed to have gotten worse after he pulled the card. He doesn't pay as much attention to the details but told me it came up with some kind of error or code of "277z".. though he was just guessing on that..

He's currently reformatting to see if that will make any sort of difference. If not, we will be returning both the computer and the card under the warranty and get them repaired. I'm assuming if the graphics card is shot they'll have to send a new one. I'm hoping.. I don't think they make my card anymore so it would be a free upgrade (y) :D

I've tried to search our problem online but every one elses issue seems to be just a little different from ours.. though, I suppose if it's hardware it wouldn't necessarily be quite the same anyway depending on the severity.

It just sucks for my comp to be down.. I can't play my games anymore lol (n)

Thanks again.. will update if the reformat helps at all or doesn't.

hi keep in mind the psu it is just as likely so worth the effort even if it gets discounted from the equation at least that is something

thaele

Thought I'd put an update in case anyone runs into this problem. It was in fact our graphics card. It was totally fried.

After reformatting, comp worked great. Albeit a little slower then we remember it, but I'm pretty sure that's just because we're a little impatient.

(y) Now here's hoping our warranty is still good for that damn card!

hey glad you figured out what it was i will keep my fingers crossed for you on the warranty as to it running slower it probably will if the onboard is providing graphics it most likely is using some of the ram

thaele

Thanks Joe! Didn't really give it much thought but you're likely right. When we first got that card, our comp seemed to be so much better. Its only been the past few month or so we noticed it slowing down and freezing but didn't think much of it. It personally never would happen to me but when the hubby would use it, it hiccupped like crazy. Naturally, I didn't believe him since all was peachy for me :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online