1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] System crashed by SP2

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by diver46, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diver46

diver46 Thread Starter

Ok....Everyone has the right to say "I told ya so!" I have read the posts about the freaking SP2 monstor. I tried to take all the necessary precautions such as getting rid of any spyware and uninstalling my adaware and spybot programs before downloading SP2. Now this is what happened...I restarted after downloading and my system does four things...1. displays the microsoft XP load page for 6 seconds. 2. Blank screen for 16 seconds. 3. HP logo on blue screen for 4 to 6 seconds. 4. Blank screen for 6 seconds amd then loops back to the microsoft XP load page. I have contacted MSN support about this and was told that I have to call their SP2 support that has a different number and hours that they work. So I am on my daughters computer posting this dire request for help while waiting the time to pass for the freaking peeps at MSN to get their sorry butts to work. And to thing that regular support suggested that I call HP for help at $35.00 an hour! Told MSN that they would get the bill and for that I was promptly hung up on! Ok Mr. Bill Gates; I got a bone to pick with you!
    ~diver~

2. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    If you haven't tried this already, do a System Restore to the point before you installed SP2?

3. diver46

diver46 Thread Starter

For further analysis...once the computer is turned on and the "loop" is started, I am unable to do anything to it. I can not download back up CD's or the reformat disks much less the restore point. I am able to get into system diagnostics by hitting F1 but that dosent let me make any significant changes that will help gettig my system back on line. (diver searches for a gun to shoot PC but is unable to find one)

4. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
    Can you get into the Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key during a boot?

5. abhinav2good

abhinav2good

Hi diver i ahave the solution for your problem but that involves uninstalling service Pack 2.

To resolve the problem you should have the XP CD.

Insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive or in the DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

Note When you receive the following message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD: Press any key to boot from CD

Note Your computer must be configured to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive.

For more information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or the DVD drive, see the documentation that came with your computer or contact the computer manufacturer.

When you receive the Welcome to Setup message, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Note Multiple options will appear on the screen.
    Select the Windows XP installation in question.

Note You must select a number before you press ENTER, or the computer will restart. Typically, only the 1: C:\Windows selection is available.
    If you are prompted to type an administrator password, do so. If you do not know the administrator password, press ENTER. (Typically, the password is blank.)

Note You will not be able to continue if you do not have the administrator password.

At the command prompt, type cd $ntservicepackuninstall$\spuninst , and then press ENTER.

Note After you complete this step, you cannot stop the removal process.
    At the command prompt, type batch spuninst.txt , and then press ENTER.

Note The Spuninstal.txt file appears. As the file scrolls down, you will see errors and files being copied. This is normal behavior.

After Windows XP SP2 is removed, type exit , and then press ENTER.
    Restart your computer in Safe Mode. To do this, press F8 as the computer restarts.
    Note After you restart, the system may lock up with a black screen. (Your mouse will work.) In this case, restart again by turning the computer off and then back on. The second restart will let you to log on.

When your computer restarts, Windows Explorer (Explorer.exe) does not run, and the Windows icons and the Start button are unavailable. To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager.
    Click File, and then click New Task (Run...).
    In the Open box, type regedit , and then click OK.
    Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs

On the right side of the viewing pane, right-click ObjectName, click Modify, type LocalSystem in the Value data box, and then click OK.
    Restart your computer

This way you will be able to boot the computer. Uninstall Service pack 2 from Add and remove programs.

6. Spiteful

Spiteful

I got the same exact problom, can anyone tell me how to get my PC to start from the CD drive or DVD drive.

Just in case I cant find the answere in my manual or by calling my PC poeples, the answere will be here when i return (I hope)

7. diver46

diver46 Thread Starter

Thanks Abhinav2good. that is more than I learned from MSN. my only problem is that I dont have the boot disk. MSN did tell me and show where I can get that and it is at www.bootdisk.com I have already copied the download from it on my wifes computer and burned it to a CD. I have tried to transfer to floppies but so far am unable to do so as the file is too large. I will follow your nstructns on this issue Monday after I go buy me a new mouse....I had to use my mouse on my daughters comp as hers is fried! lol Thanks again

8. Spiteful

Spiteful

-bump-

9. diver46

diver46 Thread Starter

Still working on the instructions sent. Unable to get past reboot. and dont wish to wait for one to three days for MSN level 2 support to call me. Everything else has worked well.

10. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

11. diver46

diver46 Thread Starter

OK dust sailor, I clicked on the link that you posted and I dont have not a one of those programs listed in there. My antivirus is Panda titanium 4, and I also have Reg Mechanic. As for my adaware and spybot programs, they were uninstalled after running a scan through them before installing the SP2. As for "fixes for any problems in a few weeks" SCREW THAT! MSN has a growing bill with me that I will submit to them for any and all damage done to my system for them putting SP2 out without checking it for validity. SP2 has caused way to many problems for a mass of people and companies. OK I am through venting......my apologies, but I have been without my computer for 4 days now and my wife hates it when I have to get on hers. My daughters computer is even worse. But I appreciate your effort in trying to help.
    ~diver~

12. kronus

kronus

It looks like you might have overlooked this step. Correct me if I am wrong.

13. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Just trying to help Try installing SpyBot Search and Destroy again as well as Adaware SE and Spyware Blaster . If nothing that has been suggested here seems to make things a bit easier perhaps a moderator could move you to the security forum where someone could analyze a HJT log if you can get into safe mode and stop the " loop "

14. diver46

diver46 Thread Starter

Kronus: I did not forget the "safe mode" step. I did follow the directions closely and completely.
    Dust Sailor: I am unable to get anywhere into the system. I have 6 floppy boot disks to get my computer stabalized. These floppy's put it through a system set-up and is supposed to remove the SP2 package that has created all this mess.
    Thanks for your input gentlemen! I appreciate it!
    ~diver~

15. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Good Morning Diver I have requested someone with more knowledge to have a look at your problem . Please be patient as this is a very busy time . Hopefully someone will be able to help and we can all learn a bit more so we can assist others Good Luck

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice