1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: system error 5 has occurred access denied

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ron40, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

I have windows 8, 32 bit & I'm trying to clear my print spooler, which I've done many times. I go to "run," type "cmd" & enter the command: "net stop spooler." When I execute the spooler command I get the above error message. I did a search on google & got a lot of hits but none of them were useful. What is going on & how do I solve this "system 5 error" problem?
    Thanks for any help.

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Try restarting the spooler at the same time. The combination command would be

net stop spooler && net start spooler

I try to avoid the command line as much as possible, on the understanding that a user OS should not need in depth commands. When I have a document problem such as yours, I normally open the "Devices and Printers", in the Control Panel, click in and "see what's printing" and clear it from there. Sometimes needs a restart.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You must run that cmd on an elevated cmd prompt
    instead of simply opening the cmd prompt on windows 8.1
    however you access it - right click and click run as admin or if you access it from search charms, click run as admin
    the cmd window will then be titled
    Administrator command prompt and not merely command prompt
    please see screenshot

as explained here
    You can also clear print jobs by using an elevated Command Prompt. You will get the “Access Denied” error if you attempt to do this with a normal Command Prompt.

That said, perhaps I am on the wrong tack as you say

Attached Files:

4. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

Problem solved: I was not running with admin privileges. In Win 8 I have to choose "Command Prompt (Admin)' from the dropdown choices. I was selecting "Run" from the dropdown choices to get a command line rather than "Command Prompt (Admin)." I just forgot. I'm new to win 8. Go figure. Thanks to all for replying.
    Ron

5. Macboatmaster

That is what I suggested on my post 3.
    Pleased you found it

6. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster:
    I realized it was your suggestion & I meant to give attribution but forgot. Thank you very much. That's why I love this site.
    Ron

7. Macboatmaster

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice