1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Folder Opens at startup, and reboot.exe question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by atryeu, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atryeu

atryeu Banned Thread Starter

I installed a brand new version of XP Home with SP2 on Saturday evening and all has been running just fine. However, for some reason now the system32 folder keeps popping up after my desktop is loaded. This just started today and I am unsure how to prevent that folder from popping up every time the computer starts up. The only changes made today were some programs being installed onto the system.

Also, I believe this showed up after I installed drivers for the chipset and such Saturday night, but in the Startup folder, a 'Reboot.exe' file is showing up. Is it safe to remove that from the Startup folder? I looked it up thruogh Google and as far as I can tell, that file will reboot the system? The information I did find, if that's the same file, was not very helpful.

Thank you!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. atryeu

It's safe to remove from the Startup folder then? I did run a full updated anti-virus scan a few hours ago. I will also be running an online virus scan and my spyware/malware scans tonight. I do not think it is a trojan, however, since it showed up before I had even setup the internet Saturday evening. It was installed with my motherboard software right after I got XP up and running again.

Thank you for those links as well. I copied down the first two to check in a few minutes and am checking out the one about the system folder right now.

4. atryeu

Hmm, according to the MSN page about the system folder coming up, the problem is with a registry key. I just checked over the keys it listed and I see no incomplete, or blank entries.

Under the Local_Machine, I have entries for: ATIPTA (something for the motherboard), hpppt (I am unsure what this is, data column says: /ICON), NAV Agent (for my anti virus software. There is also the (Default) entry at the top.

Under Current_User, there is only 1 entry under Run... (Default) REG_SZ (Value Not Set)

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes by all means remove it from Startup...

6. atryeu

Thanks. I just didn't want to mess with it in case it was there for a reason. I've been using ME all these years so I have a whole lot to learn about XP here still. You never can tell about certain files.

7. atryeu

The system folder popping up was caused by the hpppt registry entry it seems. I just restarted and all seems fine now. Thank you for the help! I bookmarked both of those online scans and will try them tonight as well.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Great..thanks for comeback!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice