1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System font large and bold

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by denno020, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. denno020

denno020 Thread Starter

I have been applying different visual styles to my machine, and I recently applied one that had a small font, which I didn't really like.. So I deleted that font from my system fonts, and then reapplied the theme (I really like the theme, except for the font used). However, now I can't view some dialogs, like the windows sounds dialog for example, as you can see in the attached screenshot below. I imagine that somewhere in the visual style, the size of the font is enlarged, so as the accomodate the supplied, smaller, font. I don't know how to change it back.. I've tried applying different visual styles, and even the default visual style (through the Personalize dialog).

Does anyone know how I can change the font back to the original size?

This is the visual style that I applied that had the undesired font:
    http://grindkerensky.deviantart.com/art/VentZer0-11-Theme-RC-1-0-210502295

This is how my dialogs look:
    [​IMG]

<TSG SysInfo>
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3957 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 597449 MB, Free - 343092 MB; H: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1350523 MB; I: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1557328 MB; S: Total - 114470 MB, Free - 38412 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NSKAA
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. dbailey18

dbailey18

How about a system restore point?

3. denno020

denno020 Thread Starter

I'd like to avoid using a system restore point.. I was hoping there would be something else I could tweak.. whether that be in the registry, or any other settings..

4. Titor

Titor

This is easy. It's displaying the old-school System font (big, blocky, etc) because you deleted the corresponding font in the theme.

You have two options:

(1) Reinstall the font you deleted.
    Or,
    (2) Change the theme.

5. denno020

denno020 Thread Starter

Thankyou for the reply Titor. I did say in my original post that I have tried applying different visual styles, but I didn't make it clear that I've applied them after this one.. So that hasn't changed the font back to normal.. The only thing I can think is that applying different ones after, they don't have any specific font, and therefore leave the font style unchanged? Does this seem likely?

I will try reinstalling the font and then changing the themes up to see if that works..

6. denno020

denno020 Thread Starter

I have just re-installed the fonts and restarted my computer, after re-applying the visual style, but the dialog fonts still haven't changed..

7. Firebreather

Firebreather

Try this:
    Control Panel>Display>Set Custom Text Size (DPI)>Set it to 100%.
    Log off and log in.

8. denno020

denno020 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Firebreather.. My font size was already set to 100%, but to be sure I changed it to 125%, applied it, then changed it back to 100% and applied it. Then I logged off and logged back on, but it didn't seem to fix the problem..

9. Firebreather

Firebreather

Have you tried changing screen resolution?

10. denno020

denno020 Thread Starter

Do you mean changing it to something else, then changing it back? My screen resolution hasn't changed in forever, so I can't see that as causing the recent problem.

I just tried changing the resolution, problem was still there, then I changed it back, and the problem again was still there..
    So that didn't seem to be the problem..

11. Firebreather

Firebreather

I'm out of ideas right now :(
    Maybe someone else will have a better solution.

Wish you luck! :)

12. Firebreather

Firebreather

13. denno020

denno020 Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your continued support and help Firebreather. I am happy to report that it's now fixed! :D. I got the answer from the link you posted.. I could find the font segoeui.ttf in my system, so I searched for and found it on the net, and installed it. It said that it was already in the font folder, but I installed it anyway, and it was all fixed! :).

I had previously restored my font settings, which may have aided, but restoring the font on it's own didn't fix it.

So happy that it's fixed now though, thankyou so much for helping :)

14. Firebreather

Firebreather

Glad to have helped :)

New Year! New Beginning!
    Have a very Happy New Year! :)

15. Firebreather

Firebreather

Now please mark the thread closed (see the upper left hand side of the page) so that a moderator can close it. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice