1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Freezes - Troubleshooting (hardware)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HOBOcs, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Issue: I'm working on a PC that freezes up after a period time (fluctuates).
    WinXP pro with Sp1 (Will add SP2 when I resolve the current issue).

The issue started when the owner would use Outlook express and then walk away.;. when they came back, all was loked up, no mouse no nothing all they can do is hard power off and power back up.

I immediatley thought of the virus or screen saver, hibernation issues, or other power or memory issue.
    We have been unable to get through a complete virus or spyware scan with out the computer locking up.

However, I've been able to consistently duplicate the issue by running "Spybots" and it appears to be locking at the same point (25%) in it's run.

Other Troublehshooting Action:
    I checked the screen savever and power settings - appear to be fine.
    I've checked hardware devices and drives appear to be fine.

I've begun first by looking at the memory (2 128 DDR PC2100) - I removed one at a time and reran the spybots (my measure) and I still get the same locking.
    Secondly, I disconnected other hardware with no luck.

Is the anyway to test the processor?

Any suggestions, new direction appreciated.

2. Miz

Miz

Try running the scans in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode, begin repeatedly pressing and releasing the F8 key as the computer begins to boot up. That will get you to the boot menu where you can choose Safe Mode.

3. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Sorry, I should have mentioned - I re-ran the same tests in safe mode and still get the freezing.

FYI, I checked and test the msconfig as well (system only... etc.)

4. HOBOcs

HOBOcs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jim
    Follow-up

I tried a few things:
    1) Replaced memory (switched with know good memory) no change
    2) Replaced Power supply - no change
    3) tried some software updates - no chnage.
    4) next thought the processor may be at fault - temperature or other
    went into the bio and watched as the CPU processor temperature rise.

When opening the case to chech processor - notice the processor cooling fan was a little cockeyed - actually the heat sink collar built into the mother board 478 socket was brokened and the heat sink was not completely on the processor or holding snug.

Removed heat sink, replaced heat sink collar with one from a nonworking P4 board
    Boy the collars are hard to find.

Solved the problem.(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!