1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by billyg1957, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billyg1957

billyg1957 Thread Starter

My Lenovo Thinkpad T60 has begun freezing very often. I have not ever experienced this since Windows XP came along. This system is running XP. My initial theories on the problem are as follows.

I changed two things, and the problems began.

1. I installed gotomypc. I don't think this is the issue, but it is a new installation.
    2. I was trying to change settings in the power manager as the screen was too dark when operating on batteries. (just bought a new battery for the unit). I had all kinds of trouble making the adjustment and while doing so noticed that fan settings were adjustable. My thought is that the problem may be that the system is running too hot due to the improper power settings, but dont know how to confirm or correct this.

Any help...as always is appreciated.

2. Gnomad

Gnomad

If you adjusted your fan settings, then change them back to what they were.

3. billyg1957

This is where the problem lies for me. I am not sure how to change these settings, and what to change them too. Any changes I made were purely accidental!

4. billyg1957

Hi, responding to my own thread.....can someone walk me through the power manager-setting properties functions? There does not seem to be a way to make changes to system settings. The scheme is currently set for Power source optimized. The edit button is not selectable. You can click on "new", make changes, create a name for the profile, but once you hit finish, it reverts back to the properties screen, and the new scheme name i just created is not there!!!! Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

5. billyg1957

Still looking for help in adjusting these power settings.

6. Gnomad

Gnomad

Is this Power Management program a part of Windows or is it a Lenovo program?

7. billyg1957

Brought the computer in. Turns out it was a ram failure. Installed new memory (and added more). All is well. Will mark as solved. Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice