1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System hang up!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ExtremeFX, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ExtremeFX

ExtremeFX Thread Starter

I am back again with yet another new issue. I have recently purchased a seagate 250g 16 mb cache HD. Killdisked it and did a new format on it as well, while installing a fresh copy of Win 2000Pro. I got all of my Service Pack 4 updates and reinstalled my Diablo 2 game. I was seeing a major performance Improvment until i downloaded this hack program for a map modifier within the game to get full view of each map within diablo 2. The Monitor went black and the computer restarted for no reason at all. It then brought up my win set up screen.. and said during my last boot-up, Your system hung for improper frequency combinations. I have no clue what this means. I went back to the hack program and deleted every string attached to this file and rebooted my computer. No more issues so far. I need to know what are my combinations supposed to be set at and is it safe to run my game still? My system is ASUS P3V4X/chipset is via vt82c69x Apollo Pro 133/133A/ pc100 sdram. CPU is 554MHZ P3.
    I have 261 mb ram. Please help. Oh yeah, when i attempt to install a second game, my comp freezes for a short sec. and tells me not enough virtual memory to execute program.:mad:

2. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

A guess: Your RAM is very small for gaming and most anything else. For example, the bare minimum for a well functioning "XP" OS is 512 MB.

{redoak}

3. ExtremeFX

ExtremeFX Thread Starter

Hrm.. So there is nothing wrong with my system set up causing my computer to hang up like that? Well, i'll persue buying 1 gig of ram to see if this helps.. Thanks again for your help! :)

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know what? I am not being mean at all but this hardware is really old and I wonder if you can even go to 1 gb of ram and the cost would be really high today for pc 100 and it will be tough to find. The processor is really slow along with inadequate ram, don't you think it's time to go for a new pc? This one owes you nothing and we both know that the hard drive is suspect with age too.

5. ExtremeFX

ExtremeFX Thread Starter

Actually, I just bought the HD now my programs react faster and take less time to open, but yes, even though i have a slow processor, I can reluctantly say that i am not in the market to upgrade as fast as i would like to. I found 2 512 mb pc100's in the paper yesterday for $25 ea. i figure.. $50.00 is good since i am in college and short on money. In the future i have my specific computer design in mind. It will just take me time to save for it. Better to keep this one alive since i do a lot of homework on this thing too. ;)

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

If you no longer need assistance, go to "Thread Tools" and choose "Solved." That will alert folks that you no longer need help.

Best wishes for a college student on a budget. I was "there" years ago, too.
    {redoak}

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah so many of us were there. Lucky you have that still running, that says a lot for luck and maintenance.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice