Solved: System Information -> Help and Support?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lotuseclat79

I run WinXP Pro SP2, and when I initiate the following sequence:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information
the Help and Support Center Window comes up.
This also happens with Start -> Run -> msinfo32
Huh?

Does anyone know how to correct this?

-- Tom

If you go into your target location does it point to the correct files? I know this is accomplished by doing the the command line prompt... but here is the full 'target' just in case "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" and Start in should be "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo". I have no idea why even when typed in run it would go to that screen...

lotuseclat79

BannerGuy said:
If you go into your target location does it point to the correct files? I know this is accomplished by doing the the command line prompt... but here is the full 'target' just in case "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe" and Start in should be "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo". I have no idea why even when typed in run it would go to that screen...
Hi BannerGuy,

When I right-click properties for System Information in:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information
it does point to the correct file in the Microsoft Shared path you mention.

Why indeed is the question? Also for the Run command?

I'm going to do the following things:
1) try to execute the msinfo32.exe from its directory
if the Help and Support window comes up again, check out the application file properties between it and Help and Support for any differences where differences would indicate something (trojan) messin' with my system.
2) run system file checker on msinfo32.exe
3) run ewido after update

Something will explain this - I have no doubt!

-- Tom

I'm stumped why it would do it when you are in the command line... it goes straight to the right thing when I do it on mine...

try typing in winmsd into your run line and see what happens... the only other thing I can think of is to copy the .cab file that contains the exe file off the XP CD to its current location and overwrite the 'bad' file

Yep, Evandil and Bob Cerelli (sp?) had a running dialog concerning this issue the other day.

lotuseclat79

mike5532g said:
Credit goes to Evandil for this fix.

Read the read me file, it will tell you where to place the index.dat file.
Thanks Mike, that worked, but not before I got myself in some trouble - and, luckily was able to recover from it - which is why I am now able to write this reply! This is a cautionary tale about running System File Checker after doing a Windows Update.

This morning, I ran Windows Update for my WinXP Pro SP2 computer - great, I'm now up-to-date, and then I finally updated Windows 2000 Office. This afternoon, as I outlined in my previous message, I ran sfc /scannow from a command window, i.e. Start->Run->Cmd->Ok. I have the original CDROM for WinXP Pro with SP2 on it, no problem - ran without consequences, or did it?

I believe what it did was to replace the dllcache contents with the original files. What happened was that when I tried to reboot, the bootup would get to the Windows screen with the Cylon eye (BattleStar Gallactica reference) flashing left-to-right, which normally flashes only 13 times, and just kept staring at me like a Cylon would to a human - the sound of the Cylon :eek: was killing me.

When I rebooted again to get into Safe Mode it I could not even get into Safe Mode - although I was able to select Safe Mode it came up with a list of 24 drivers and just sat there. The list of drivers were in the form of:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows\system32\Drivers\pci.sys to Mup.sys

Ok, panic time - took a break and thought about it - no time to give up now!

Booted up into the selection screen for Safe Mode, and chose the selection:
Last Known Good Configuration, and kept my fingers crossed! Eureka - it worked! Hoo-ha! As he punches his fist into the air!

Let that be a lesson learned! Comments welcome on doing what I did to myself, and what I should have done instead (LOL) - learning is a good thing!

-- Tom

P.S. Anyone have a Cylon sound that can be played with that Windows screen? :D

Handy tool, that Last Known Good Configuration. It has saved my a__ in the past.

Some of our more knowledeable helpers have mentioned that sfc will replace newer files with older versions, and that it should be used only when necessary.

I've never heard of sfc crippling a system after a update. Did you reboot after the update, in order for the update to "take".

Just curious.

lotuseclat79

mike5532g said:
Handy tool, that Last Known Good Configuration. It has saved my a__ in the past.

Some of our more knowledeable helpers have mentioned that sfc will replace newer files with older versions, and that it should be used only when necessary.

I've never heard of sfc crippling a system after a update. Did you reboot after the update, in order for the update to "take".

Just curious.
Yes I did - scary, isn't it? Live and learn!

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online