[SOLVED] system ini is missing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rossai

When I clicked on system information, I found my all the system ini was missing. I don't think this is normal. I cannot start in normal mode I have to start in selective mode with system ini unchecked. Does anyone knows why. I do have the win 98 se cd will this help me

I'm not sure what you mean:

When you click on the 'system.ini' tab, it's empty? you see nothing but a white background?

What was the problem before you looked into 'system.ini' & 'msconfig' ?

Are you getting an error message when you boot?

--------->
Check this:

Click START / RUN / System.ini <type

System.ini opens in Notepad, what do you see now?

:)

rossai

I found this, but like I said when I went to sys config. utili ,I have to click on selective start up and have process system ini unchecked. it has none of this there.
The reason why I went there is my display is stuck on 16 bit color and 640x480 I tried changing display drivers but nothing worked so I thought where was something in there was screwed up

; *** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! ***
;
; This file was created by the System Configuration Utility as
; a placeholder for your SYSTEM.INI file. Your actual
; SYSTEM.INI file has been saved under the name SYSTEM.TSH.
;
[boot]
system.drv=system.drv
drivers=mmsystem.dll
user.exe=user.exe
gdi.exe=gdi.exe
sound.drv=mmsound.drv
dibeng.drv=dibeng.dll
comm.drv=comm.drv
mouse.drv=mouse.drv
keyboard.drv=keyboard.drv
shell=Explorer.exe
*DisplayFallback=0

[386Enh]
ebios=*ebios
device=*vshare
device=*dynapage
mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd
device=*vcd
device=*vpd
device=*int13
woafont=dosapp.fon
keyboard=*vkd
display=*vdd,*vflatd

[drivers]
wavemapper=*.drv
MSACM.imaadpcm=*.acm
MSACM.msadpcm=*.acm
wave=mmsystem.dll
midi=mmsystem.dll

[mci]
cdaudio=mcicda.drv
sequencer=mciseq.drv
waveaudio=mciwave.drv
avivideo=mciavi.drv
videodisc=mcipionr.drv
vcr=mcivisca.drv

[drivers32]
MSACM.imaadpcm=imaadp32.acm
MSACM.msadpcm=msadp32.acm
MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
MSACM.msg711=msg711.acm
MSACM.trspch=tssoft32.acm
vidc.CVID=iccvid.dll
VIDC.IV31=ir32_32.dll
VIDC.IV32=ir32_32.dll
vidc.MSVC=msvidc32.dll
VIDC.MRLE=msrle32.dll
msacm.lhacm=lhacm.acm

[Password Lists]
DAD=C:\WINDOWS\DAD017.PWL

Search for SYSTEM.TSH and rename it to SYSTEM.INI

It should be in your Windows folder. If not, move it there after you rename it...

Why do you have system.ini unchecked in msconfig? That is the reason for the problem in the first place. Just recheck it!

I agree ^^ with Rog.
By re-checking system.ini in msconfig it will automatically copy SYSTEM.TSH back to SYSTEM.INI and that should cure a least that part of your problem.

Hi Rossai,
Ok, after you check back system.ini, take a look at this>

Since you have been making changes in 'msconfig', you may have altered this setting for vga,

Open your msconfig again and click on 'advanced' , look under 'settings' for VGA 640 x 480 and make sure that it is NOT CHECKED,

Then reboot and check your display.

If that was not an issue:

Right click on the 'My Computer' icon and choose 'Properties'. Next choose 'Device Manager'. Click on the + sign next to 'Display Adapter'. Write down the name of the video adapter and then right click on it and choose 'Remove'.

Now reboot and it should automatically reinstall with windows, if it doesn't, go into 'add/new hardware' , in your control panel. If you see the card on the list, let windows detect it, if not, then choose 'no, I don't see it on the list' , then choose 'I want to select the hardware from a list' ..........click next, select 'DISPLAY ADAPTOR'

In the left pane pick the manufactor, in the right pane choose the model, and proceed to install,

----------

The other angle is to go to start / settings / Control panel / Display / Settings /Advanced / Adapter .... and hit the 'change' button. Follow those instructions to search for the drivers, use your recovery cd if you have it,

:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online