1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System is showing 3 DVD drives - should only be 2.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jerold, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

My system is showing 3 DVD drives and I only have 2 optical drives - a DVD drive and a second DVD-RW drive. It is even appearing in Disk Management as a 3rd DVD drive. I recently just replaced my CD-RW drive with the DVD-RW drive, but I don't know why it would create this phantom 3rd drive. I used the same connectors internally when I swapped them out. Any Ideas?

WinXP Pro SP2
    SATA HDD
    DVD Drive
    DVD-RW Drive
    Internal ZIP Drive

Thanks.

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Probably a "virtual drive" created by an application you have installed.

3. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

WHat does it say under device manager CD and DVD drives? If it only shows 2 you may have some kind of emulation program like Daemon tools running?

4. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

Strange...I thought I'd have to wait till tomorrow to check the PC at work, but the same thing is appearing on my home PC. I have them set up almost identically. The device manager lists 3 drives. The 3rd is listed as an AVX CD/DVD-ROM SCSI SCRom Device. I'll have to check what it lists as at my work PC.

The only software that I've installed recently is a flight sim game - on both PC's. Could that do it? I'll uninstall it and see if it changes the drives.

If I am unable to remove it, will it do any damage to my system?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like you have Alcohol 120% installed, it creates such virtual drives.

6. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

Yes!!!!! That is it. I just recently installed them on both PC's.

Any idea what the virtual drives are for?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can make images of your CD's or DVD's and store them on your hard drive. When you want to use one of them you mount it into one of the virtual drives and then you can use it just like it was the original CD.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice