1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Locks up during game.

Discussion in 'Games' started by sswafford, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sswafford

sswafford Thread Starter

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    I play Lineage 2. I play in windowed mode. I have two accounts for the game, so I log onto one, go to my start and l log into the other. As I play, I Alt-Tab between the two windows so that i can do things with each character. Lately, as I do this, everything just freezes. The cursor, keyboard functions, everything just freezes. The only way to fix it is to hit reset on my tower and start again. It doesn't do it 100% of the time but enough for me to want it to stop lol. It never, ever does it unless I am two boxing in game like that. I do have to have Teamspeak running in background and sometimes I have my yahoo messenger in background as well. I have noticed only one odd thing, my CPU was taching 100% a few times while I was viewing processes and it was yahoo messenger doing it. Not sure why. wasn't chatting with anyone at the time.
    Any ideas as to what causes this.
    Here is my system info.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
    Memory: 1536MB RAM
    RADEON 9600 Series Secondary (Omega 3.8.252)
    Monitor: Dell 2405FPW (Digital) Res: 1920,1200

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks guys.

***additional note:
    I have recently installed Microsoft Defender and noticed that it had a process running all the time and it also tended to tach my CPU, ALLOT! The process was MsMpEng.exe. I have just decided to unintall Defender and now I don't hear my HD making nearly the search noise it did. Maybe this was it?

2. Kramer55

Kramer55

If you are tabbing between the two games, that is going to use alot more of your system resources, as compared to playing just one game.

You may want to scan for viruses and spyware, but my guess is that running 2 applications of the game is the main reason your computer is locking up.

3. sswafford

sswafford Thread Starter

removing the Microsoft defender seems to have fixed my issue. Had no idea it used so much cpu off and on every few seconds.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice