Solved: System Mechanical Professional

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Corpser

I have the paid version of it and it acts like it knows what it's doing but what really worries me is after I tried using the Program Accelerator I had to cancel it mid-way because my hard-drive was getting near full. To be clear I plan on getting a new 1TB external soon so I can open some space on my internal. Anyways it went from 50gbs left to 40gbs during this run of PA and I had to cancel it as it wasn't even 1/4 done and already took up 10gbs of space. After that I wanted to see if it really was eating up the space or not and restarted my computer. After doing so my computer got to the Alien logo but then started to scan and repair the C: drive. And now it seems like my computer is running a tiny bit slower and I have 42gbs left.

I really don't know what to think of this and I have read some of peoples' statements claiming SMP is a scam or it can really mess up your registry or the likes. Anyone who could help me on this would be nice.

-On a side note I have been using Advanced System Care and that seemed like it was keeping my computer running just fine and never had an issue with theirs though I was only using the free version. (And yes I know about the claims that IObit stole the database info from malwarebytes). I also have Vipre but don't know how well that does in all honesty.

-I have heard CCleaner and Malwarebytes are really good programs to keep your computer safe and clean is that true? I have also heard of Avast but I really don't know much about that one

You might try using System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

Avast, CCleaner and Malwarebytes are well-respected programs.

Corpser

I was half drowsy when I looked at the message it gave after scanning and repairing the C: drive but I'm sure it already did as only the start-up seemed to be slowed down but the rest seems fine for now. But I'm still at a loss as to why SMP's Program Accelerator would eat up 7.8gbs.

Corpser

Is there any idea what the process did to add 8gbs? I really can't find where it could have put it.

So there is no reason to ever use a reg booster or cleaner? SMP always claims I have a ton of misaligned files, which right now it says 389k misaligned which is a total of 465gb, and that I should "optimize" it. I never understood how it could become that bad when I have ASC's defragmentor always running every Sunday.

It seems to have 2 different tools that I really don't know if I should have been wary of using. The first, the one I was talking about Program Accelerator, is for re-aligning programs and their dependent files. The other is Drive Accelerator which is for defragment of the drive. Are both of those unneeded or dangerous? I'm just confused.

Corpser

My current issue still stands but I also just had another 2.5gbs eaten up and I have no clue as to what did it. Is there any way to find out the newest data added to a drive?

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Sorry but all I can suggest is to stop using those programmes and wait 'til someone can help you undo what's happened.
Apologies.

Corpser

Sorry but all I can suggest is to stop using those programmes and wait 'til someone can help you undo what's happened.
Apologies.
So there is no way to find out the latest data added to a drive or any space that might have been reserved for use or something? And you can't explain what the program means by re-aligning program data? I just need to know if it means the registry or not.

I'm honestly surprised there is no one on this site that has used System Mechanic Professional and can give me more help than this.

The only thing is if that one specific tool should be avoided I don't want to uninstall it completely. I need to know the overall effectiveness and usefulness of SMP - they've been around since 1998 I thought people would know more about their product.

valis

I don't use SMP and would never use it on any of my machines....I don't trust one click fix all apps, as they simply do not exist.

As for the disk space, just sort by date last modified, that should tell you what you need to know. You can also use disk space analyzers such WinDirStat to analyze where your disk space is going.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The real problem is NOT what was added but what was deleted.

Many have used System Mechanic and have found that it messes with all kinds of needed settings and been in your shoes that you are in now.

Most of the time, the only real method of cleaning up after these programs is good data back up and rebuild the system with a clean OS install.

Corpser

I don't use SMP and would never use it on any of my machines....I don't trust one click fix all apps, as they simply do not exist.

As for the disk space, just sort by date last modified, that should tell you what you need to know. You can also use disk space analyzers such WinDirStat to analyze where your disk space is going.
I'll try the WinDirStat as looking through my C: for modified or added files on the date it occurred didn't yield any results. Thanks for the link.

Corpser

The real problem is NOT what was added but what was deleted.

Many have used System Mechanic and have found that it messes with all kinds of needed settings and been in your shoes that you are in now.

Most of the time, the only real method of cleaning up after these programs is good data back up and rebuild the system with a clean OS install.
For now the added is an issue my internal hard drive is only 1tb and it's near full. I had to delete something major just to add some 30gbs back and the bar is still red which I assume it means that I should make even more room.

Luckily with Advanced system care it makes backups all the time which I believe it did do already as the issue seems to have gone away. Well...except for the still added 10gbs which I can't find. I'll use that Win link up above and see what I can do.

@All - Thanks for your guys' help/suggestions. Hopefully this can be resolved and this 10gbs added can be found and dealt with.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online