1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System not booting up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bella6100, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bella6100

bella6100 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

First off, thank you for reading and also thanks in advance for any advice. I dl a free trial of a program called SpeedyPC, which found numerous registry errors. I tried to dl a free full version from a random website ( I know, bad idea) so I could resolve the registry errors. As soon as I ran this executable file, my screen went blank and the system restarted, but did not go past the windows xp screen.

I shut down for a while and now the system will not boot up at all. The monitor simply gives a "no signal" message and goes blank. Please advise! Thanks again for reading and for any help!

2. bella6100

bella6100 Thread Starter

Update: Now the system boots up, but freezes at the intel inside screen. On the bottom of the screen, it says press Tab to show POST screen, Del to enter SETUP, but the keyboard does not seem to be working either ?!

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You've learned the hard way that you should never ever install and use a registry cleaner/optimizer/booster/tuneup type program. They do nothing to improve speed or performance. What they can do is break certain programs and damage the operating system.

What "random site" did you download it from? This is the home page for that program.

As soon as you press the power button on your computer, start tapping the F8 key once a second without interruption until the options menu screen appears. Select the last known good configuration option and then see if your computer will load to the desktop.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. bella6100

bella6100 Thread Starter

Hi flavallee,

Thanks for your response! I tried to press the F8 key as well as ESC, TAB, F1, but there was no response at all. Then I found another forum online where someone had the same problem, and they were told to reset the CMOS jumpers. I did that and I was actually able to get as far as booting in safe mode (worked one time). I tried a system restore, but when the comp restarted, it was the same issue, and I cannot even boot into safe mode now. I can get into BIOS, but not sure what to do when I get there.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Unless someone else jumps in and has an easy resolution for your problem, I'm afraid that you're in for a reinstall of the operating system.

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer? If perchance it's a Dell brand, advise what the "service tag number" is.

Did that computer come with any recovery/restore CD's?

------------------------------------------------------------------

6. bella6100

bella6100 Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I think you are right and recovery is the best option. This is a computer that my dad built and I do not have access to any recovery cd's or to any Win XP OS cd's. Should I try dl the Win XP recovery onto a floppy and if so, how exactly do I go about doing that?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It's unfortunate that you're not even able to start in "safe mode" now. I was going to have you go into the Device Manager and advise the description of the devices in these headings:

Display Adapters

Network Adapters

Sound Video And Game Controllers

If a reinstall of XP doesn't install the drivers for them, you'll need to obtain the drivers elsewhere. You really should have these devices identified and have the drivers for them before you reinstall XP.

To reinstall XP in that computer, you'll need a full version XP CD. If you happen to have a 98 CD or ME CD, you can do with an upgrade version XP CD.

You can't legally download XP from the internet. You have to buy the XP CD. There's no floppy disk involved. The XP CD does all the work - formatting the hard drive and installing the operating system.

You classify yourself as a "Beginner", so this is something that you'll likely be unable to do yourself.

8. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Flavallee, as a trusted advisor what do you think are the chances that this involves a virus in the cleaner rather than the registry clean itself. Indeed the first post sounds to me as if that program might not have done, or been built to do, any registry cleaning at all. Were that the case, might it not be possible to remove the virus rather than reload the OS?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    This is the home page for SpeedyPC, but bella6100 said it was downloaded from a "random site" and then used. The problem may be a combination of an infected file from whereever it was downloaded from and from the removal of so-called registry errors. I don't really know. Since the computer is currently unusable, we can't even get a HijackThis log to look at.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10. bella6100

bella6100 Thread Starter

Hello all,

I tried again several times to boot into safe mode and it simply kept restarting. I now have access to a Win XP OS cd, as well as install cd for the drivers. Should I do a complete reinstall or can I try the recovery console?

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  12. bella6100

bella6100 Thread Starter

The CD is for XP Home. I have done an install for XP before, but what I wanted to know is what is the difference between using the recovery console and doing a complete re-install of the OS?

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never used the recovery console nor done a repair of XP, so I can't address that question.

---------------------------------------------------------------

14. bella6100

bella6100 Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice in trying to resolve this situation! I did a complete reinstall of the OS and got all the drivers I needed as well and everything is running very smoothly. I'll make sure not to try out any of those registry programs again. Thanks! :)

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad you had success. Starting out fresh is sometimes the best way.

Stay completely away from registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type programs, no matter what they claim they can do.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice