1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System powers up for several seconds and shuts off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bgdave1, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bgdave1

bgdave1 Thread Starter

My ASUS motherboard failed and I RMA'd it, I got it back and reinstalled it and everything into the tower. I tried to boot it and it only powers on for several seconds and shuts off! Can anyone suggest what steps I might take to troubleshoot it?:confused: ASUS recommends 2" of padding all around the part to prevent damage in shipping, however they return shipped it in a FEDEX express box only about 2.5" thick with thin foam sheet wrapped over the I/O end and the opposite end...WAY TO GO ASUS....nothing like practicing what you preach!:mad:

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Power in for a few seconds and then shuts off is usually the CPU overheating or an overloaded PSU. You can usually eliminate the PSU if the system will turn back on again without pulling the power cord.

For the CPU, make sure the cooling fan is turning, and that you applied new thermal paste to the heatsink (neither too little or too much).

You might also look in the BIOS setup to see if there is an overtemp shutdown that is set too low.

3. bgdave1

bgdave1 Thread Starter

PSU is new and plug doesn't need to be pulled to turn on again after shut off. Applied artic silver 5 in correct amount to center of heat spreader. System will not boot far enough to even get into bios before it shuts down, hdd light comes on, cd-rom lights flash and bam it turns off:confused:

4. Megabite

Megabite

Recheck everything again...even if you have to reinstall it step by step.....makesure the motherboard has the spacers applied and it is sitting flat.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Is this the same system you posted about two weeks ago, except with only a new motherboard?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

You really need to give the hardware models of what you are using to expect help on a hardware issue. If this is an Intel socket 775, I would bet there is one pin not all the way through the mobo but who knows we haven't a clue what your hardware is.

7. accat13

accat13

I rma'd a motherboard to asus previously....They sent me a worse for wear replacement that was DOA....Upon RMAing this board asus contacted me saying they had no replacement for my board they offered a free upgrade.It all worked out in the end but you are correct about the packaging...

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

I sent back a video card 4 times to them before I finally got one that worked. TG they have a quick turn-around time.

9. accat13

accat13

Wish I could say the same for customers outside the USA

10. bgdave1

bgdave1 Thread Starter

ASUS P5GV-MX socket 775 mobo, Intel prescott 3.4 GHz, new Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply, 4 x 512 DDR 400.

11. bgdave1

bgdave1 Thread Starter

Well this problem turned out to be a faulty new Antec 550 PSU, Newegg rma'd it and the replacement worked fine, system is up n running!:D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice