1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: SYSTEM process takes 50% upon wakeup from S3 (Standby)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PC_Tech_Guy, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC_Tech_Guy

PC_Tech_Guy Thread Starter

Hi, for the sake of me trying to rexplain stuff, I'll just post a partial chat log I had with the Geek Squad:

The PC [09:12 AM] :
    I've been dealing with this for weeks. When I wake the computer from Standby, most of the time, the SYSTEM process goes to 50%. Then, everything freezes if I try to do something in it, including Task Manager (such as selecting an item in Taskmgr).
    The PC [09:13 AM] :
    I tried Sysinternals to take a look at the process within SYSTEM, but it simply showed SYSTEM as being the one that took up 50%

The PC [09:14 AM] :
    Here's a topic I recently started: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/thread/b461522f-c54d-415f-a512-03a41306f193

The PC [09:15 AM] :
    I also included some info near the end of this topic: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/thread/37c87c7a-a836-4c05-884d-8445a6f9be78

This is getting so dang annoying, but I don't want to keep my PC on in order to keep programs running. I am stumped on this problem... really, really stumped.

By the way, I'm using Windows XP SP3, all updates installed...

2. PC_Tech_Guy

3. PC_Tech_Guy

Found out it was some Atlsvid.sys (found in Process Explorer via the properties window of the system process). Later results on Google connected it to the driver for the Dell Movie Studio Device, a capture card that came with my system. (I recently found and installed the driver.) Although I couldn't Stop it via ServiWin (from Nirsoft), I disabled the startup, and when doing a test Standby/wakeup, SYSTEM process used no more than 6%. Whew, now here on the Internet for anybody else who has encountered such a horrendous, unknown problem like mine, where no one else has helped. (Yes, I posted this in two Forums, and I got NO response. No pointers. Nothing.)

The PC Tech Guy
    thepctechguy.webs.com

P.S. I've been working for weeks on this, and what a Christmas present I got from God.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice