1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] system recovery not working!!{HP Pavillion}

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sdogg45, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdogg45

sdogg45 Thread Starter

please help. we decided to use the system recovery option to completely wipe our system clean so we can have a fresh start due to some problems with crashing and so on. yet when i restarted the computer with the recovery disc in the drive, and went through the menus to the point where i was at the final option: "are you sure you want to do this, etc......" i selected ok and the system froze. i tried it a few more times all with the same result. problems like this one are why i am doing this in the first place. any help you can give me is appreciated. thanks.

steve

2. thingy

thingy

steve

Have you used the Disk before and successfully used any of the earlier options?
    In other words, is it just the last option that won't work?(you're going to format and re-install, right?- Recovery Discs are all different)
    I don't really know the cause or the answer- just clarifying, hopefully someone will know what to do.

3. sdogg45

sdogg45 Thread Starter

this is the first time using the system recovery disc. yet i have usaed the application disc before with no problems. and yes, it is the final option that doesnt work. it allows me to select which thing i want to do, reformat + reinstall or just reinstall. ive tried both options and both times when i get to the final promt: "doing this will erase all files on your hard drive are you sure... etc" and select yes, it freezes.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What Brand is your Computer? It is possible the restore disk is looking for an overlay or a tatoo which doesn't match or is just plain missing. How old is the computer? Is it still under Warranty?

5. sdogg45

sdogg45 Thread Starter

the computer is just over a year old, its an HP 9680C. i believe its still under warranty, but i would have to check to be sure.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I have an HP 8760C . One year Warranty is the rule unless you bought an extended warranty. They may have given you the wrong Recovery disk. I know they tatoo the MOBO, somehow a special BIOS flash. I had a new MOBO installed and they did that. The recovery disk has to recognize the system and that tatoo or it won't work.
    Can you still get into windows? You haven't formatted yet.
    Before you try a recovery, you need to also remove everything you may have conected aftersale. Printers, scanners etc. Did you change any of the other Hardware?

See if you can email HP tech support.
    If you can still get into windows, go to Start>programs>Hp tools. You'll be able to get to the site and get tech support. I hope.

7. sdogg45

sdogg45 Thread Starter

yeah i can still get into windows, i havent been able to do anything to it yet cause after it freezes, i restart the system without the disc in the drive and the computer starts up ok with all files intact. the reason that i am restoring the system to the factory settings is that it constantly crashes, defrag sucks, error checker is extremely slow, along with a few other problems. ive already backed up everything we want to keep. all i have to do is get this thing to work. when i did the recovery thing, i still had the printer, the scanner plugged in. ill try it without these connected too. ill also contact HP and see what they can do. any other suggestions would be great.

8. sdogg45

sdogg45 Thread Starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice