1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Resore and home and office student

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gigi77515, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

I think I royally messed up. I bought Home and Office Student. Instalalled it okay. It showed up in the start menu though I never used it.

I got the bright idea of setting a system restore point so did so later. Home and Office disappeared from the start menu. I then decided to do an "undue" system restore. When I did I got an error that said it couldn't access a file, probably because of an anitvirus program running so to turn antivirus off then try again. Error was (0x80070005). I turned my antivirus program off then tried again but got the same error.
    ame
    I uninstalled from Programs the home and office and tried to install it again but it came up with an "encountered an error during installing". Then "close". I tried several times but always the same.

I found under control panel>Programs>installed updates two updates that I cannot to get to uninstall but don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Today I called Dell. They told me my system was corrupt and that I needed to pay a $239 software warranty and they would help me. It was going to delete everything and install Windows 7 again so I gave them my debit number and the tech couldn't get things to work right. I had my Windows 7 disk in. He had to keep going away.....I guess to ask questions from someone smarter.....I finally got fed up and told him since he didn't know what he was doing to return my money on my card and I would do something with someone who knew what they were doing.

I haven't had any other trouble installing software. My photo software or wireless printer since the home, office thing.

I would really rather not lose everything and have to start downloading basic programs again. This computer is 3 months old. At one month the hardrive crashed and they sent me a refurbished one that I then had to go in and download things such as Adobe acrobat and other things needed to run the basic computer programs.

I had to send it off once as the plug wouldn't stay in. They did a different kind but it isn't much better and just the slightest movement in my lap away from the adapter it comes unplugged.

Any ideas or am I screwed again? Or did I screw up? Is there another option but to wipe my hardrive out again?

Gigi

PS. I either hate windows 7 or it's this computer! LOL

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

What Model of Dell is it?

3. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

It is an Inspirion 1440.

Gigi

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

Does this also apply to Windows 7?

Gigi

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Yes it should.

Did the PC come with W7 from the factory?

If it came with Vista, then this factory restore will put Vista back on it.

7. gigi77515

gigi77515 Thread Starter

yes it came with windows 7.

BTW, I just noticed your link to blowout congress and have got to get a better look but I know I will love it and agree!!

Gigi

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Ok, then the factory restore will totally reinstall W7, be sure to back up your personal files to another drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice