1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: system resource

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bringmoney, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bringmoney

bringmoney Thread Starter

Is there anything I can do to build up the system resources on my computer. All I have showing at the bottom right hand corner of the monitor is my Norton AV, speaker/volume, and task monitor. With everything turned off at: Run, msconfig, start; I get about 92% system resource. After turning on the Norton, etc, it drags it down to about 70-72%. From there it just drops to nothing, especially if playing a game on the internet.
    Using 98SE,
    256 mb ram
    There is a lot that I don't understand about "system resources". It just seems to be like a battery in a car.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The "system resources" refer to a defined number of memory locations that are used as "pointers" to modules within each program. You cannot increase the number, it is hard coded into Windows.

Each running application uses some, and these should be freed up when the application closes, but sometimes this does not work as planned. When these are not freed up, your "resources" get used up.

While Windows 95/98/ME are poor in this regard, often the cause is things like adware, spyware or viruses that are running without your knowledge.

3. golferbob

golferbob

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    BringMoney:

92% starting system resources is good. Unfortunately, programs such as Norton Antivirus will suck them down in a hurry. You may also have more programs running in the background than you think you do. The number of icons in the taskbar is a poor indicator.

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab). How many programs listed there have a checkmark next to them? Other than ScanRegistry, SystemTray, and antivirus program entries, very few others need to be checked and running in the background. If you want to research the startup load yourself, make use of the "Search" option at this site.

5. bringmoney

bringmoney Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and the data.
    Re: Donation,
    Who to, where sent, anything else pertinent.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Click on one of the 2 E-mail message links in my home page and send me a message, and I'll give you a mailing address. I don't publicly post it for obvious reasons. Thanks. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice