1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] System Resources Free Vs RAM Size Query

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bilnrobn, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    I have just expanded my memory from 120MB to 312MB, which should do wonders for my computer's performance. However, the Resource Meter still seems to read about the same, which is usually between 50% and high 60s free for system and user, and a bit higher for GDI (whatever that is). I have read on this forum that the Resources reported don't indicate free RAM. What does it indicate and what is the difference between the two? The computer is running ok, it is just that I find this area puzzling.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Bilnrobn:

System resources and physical RAM are 2 different things. People assume that adding more RAM will increase system resources, but this is not the case. In order to increase system resources, you need to reduce the number of programs loading during startup and running in the background. Having more RAM is a good thing because it increases overall performance and allows more programs to run simultaneously without bogging down or freezing your computer.

3. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks for that Frank. Hopefully I will no longer get the freeze-ups I previously experienced fairly regularly. Could it be Windows ME isn't as bad as it is painted... as long as you give it enough RAM to work with? (A rhetorical question... no answer needed.)

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've worked on very few Windows ME computers. I work mostly on 98/98SE computers. I haven't really run into any problems with Windows ME that I don't run into with Windows 98/98SE. Both operating systems seem to be pretty much the same to me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice