Solved: System Restarting itself

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sajjadbaqir

hello ppl.
i am experiencing this problem for at least a week now. when i am working on my computer or doing anything else. the machine just restarts it self and no warning or messege is given. the monitor just goes black. any help???

Hi sajjadbaqir,

You may be encountering a feature of Windows XP's Startup and Recovery system. By default, this system specifically configures Windows XP to automatically restart itself after encountering a system failure error.

These system failure errors are usually isolated and occur randomly. As such, the best way for the operating system to deal with them is to automatically restart.
However, you can disable the automatic restart behavior. Follow these steps:

Go to Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup&Recovery(Settings).
In the System Failure section, deselect the Automatically Restart check box, and click OK.
To enable the changes, click OK in the System Properties dialog box.

This change configures the system to halt after encountering a system failure error, which allows you to investigate the problem error in more detail. You will then have to manually restart the system. Let us know the error.

Keep in mind that you will have to work fast in order to make the change before the system reboots. You may have better luck making the change if you launch the system in Safe Mode.

Once your system is back to normal, you can enable the Startup and Recovery system.

Regards,

Hawk

sajjadbaqir

ok as i am typing this the computer is running normally. but i forgot to add one more thing. once the restart is done and i return to the desktop a messege does come up and says "a log of error has been created" as it asks to send or not send the error. and i also turned off the automically restart feature. so far there is no error.

sajjadbaqir

OK i just encountered the error.
it was the dark blue screen where everything goes away and u see nothing. not even ur desktop. i just saw writing and wrote the name of the error. ok it said:
system has encountered a serious error and must be restarted then it said the name (sounds like a virus)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
thats exactly how it was written. then it said if u have experienced this the first time restart the machine. the it said if u experience it again check ur recently installed software and hardware.
SO WAT IS THIS??? anyone know???

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop errors are caused by software not hardware. When Windows is in the middle of scheduling an execution thread, it puts the processor at an Interrupt ReQuest Level (or IRQL) of ‘Dispatch’. This blocks further software interrupts from the scheduler until the process is complete, and no one is allowed to do anything that requires the scheduler.

Unfortunately, accessing a memory address in virtual memory is such an activity, because when a process generates a VM page fault, it is usually suspended while the slow hard disk gets around to delivering the requested page. The upshot of this is that drivers (and everything else but especially drivers) are restricted to the contents of physical memory while the IRQL is at dispatch. If anything breaks this rule (say because a corrupted pointer tries to access a random memory address), XP flings up the blue screen of death.

The easy answer is that you have a driver problem somewhere so the easiest way is to download any new drivers for the most likely culprit the Video Card and install them. You can go the Makers site and then follow the links to get the latest driver from there.

The next thing most likely would be the On Board Sound so visit that Site as well.

Microsoft thinks it's a driver problem. Here are a couple of articles giving some in-depth debugging discussion which might be of use to you...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_ccgm.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;839876

Regards,

Hawk

sajjadbaqir

ok i understand somewhat of that. but can u give me like step-by-step instructions of what to do. and how do i know which driver i need download.

Do you know the make & model of you vid card? Once you determine that, go to the Manufactures' Site & look for a driver update for your vid card model.

If you d/l & install the following program, you should be able to get the info you require.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download440.html

You might also check Device Manager & see if you are getting any flags. The following link should help.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdh_dmt_lhfg.asp

Regards,

Hawk

sajjadbaqir

ok i understand the device manager. but which category should i look in to find the name of my video card.

sajjadbaqir

hey buddy hawk. i just found out my ATI video card in the "Display Adapters" section. its RADEON 9200 SE. did i look in the correct place? cuz i do recall the salesperson telling me this name of the video card.

sajjadbaqir

Hawk1 said:
You might also open display adapter by clicking the + sign beside it. Highlight RADEON 9200 SE, right click & try updating driver.
Hawk
SUCCESS!!!(y) (y) :) :) :cool: :cool: :D :D
that sentence of urs lit a lightbulb in my brain and i upgraded the video card.(i forgot to mention there were two of them so i upgraded both of em) now there names have changed to:
Celestica Gold Edition RADEON 9200 128MB
Celestica Gold Edition RADEON 9200 128MB - Secondary

i also had to restart my computer after the upgrading so i did that too. so is this it? the error won't come again? IS THIS PROBLEM FINALLY SOLVED!!!

Sounds good to me.:D

Just keep an eye on it & if it reappears, let us know.

Regards,

Hawk

sajjadbaqir

yo hawk thanks a lot man. i appreciate all ur help. and don't worry if it comes back i know TSG is the way.

sajjadbaqir

ok wait a min. it just came back with the same error but this time it said:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
wat do i do now?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online