1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System restore error, windows 7 falling apart

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by hazyrae, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hazyrae

hazyrae Thread Starter

I recently downloaded divx, it was a nightmare to uninstall, so on the advice of a forum I used revo uninstaller to get rid of it. When I then uninstalled revo it all went wrong.

I'm not very good with computers, so bear with me. My internet now says it isn't connected when it is, a lot of my control panel isn't working, and my sound card wont play on spotify. I attempted system restore but it comes up with unexpected error 0x80042302.

I'm very worried about this as I'm not sure what to do and I need my computer for work.

I found this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/968500-solved-windows-update-windows-system.html

Where someone seemed to have the same problem and it was solved by 'reinstalling.' Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean reinstalling windows 7? and if so, how do I go about uninstalling it first? and would I need an external hard drive? I'm having such a nightmare and would be very grateful if anyone could help me.

I don't know if it's relevant but I have Windows 7, 64 bit, and Norton.

Thanks in advance

Hazyrae

2. joeten

joeten

Hi please post the make and model of your computer,do you have a install or recovery disc or recovery partition

3. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar

As for your system restore, Windows system restore is notorious for not working. In my experience it has never worked as far back as when it was first introduced with Windows ME. I recommend other solutions like Rollback Rx which is an automatic system restore and Norton or Acronis which are system backups that are stored on disks or another hard drive. You may want to log this info for future reference.

Doing a repair install of Windows 7 is fairly easy but unfortunately you may have to reinstall your programs after you do it. Its not like XP where your other programs remain intact. This is why I recommend backing up your drives with Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. You can easily find info on performing a repair install by doing a Google yourself.

Here is an example of one:
    http://www.w7forums.com/repair-install-t1204.html

You can also do a sfc to see if you can replace a any system files without reinstalling your entire operating system. It might be less drastic. Here are the instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Hope I've helped.

4. hazyrae

hazyrae Thread Starter

Hello, thank you very much for your responses. I will endeavour to back up in future! I have found an alternative solution to my problem that seemed to work.

For anyone who has this problem in the future, I reinstalled Revo Uninstaller, went into their backup files section and restored all the divx that I could. After I did this my sound came back and my windows system restore stopped showing an error so I could use it after all. After restoring it said there was an error and it didnt carry out a full restore, but everything is back to normal and any trace of divx and revo have gone so I can only presume that it did work. I have done a norton scan, and cleared the recycle bin of any divx. Major relief!!

Thanks again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice