1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System restore failed - I just need an old file

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by aSILENTfire, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aSILENTfire

aSILENTfire Thread Starter

I recently saved over my Fallout 1 savegame and I want the old one back, I tried system restore but it failed due to an unspecified error, hinting to turn my antivirus off - which didn't work.

I just want to old save file back, is there a program that can do that?

(error 0x80070005)

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

The error message you are receiving is related to anti-virus programs. Can you please tell me which virus protection software you use- Norton most likely. Before I go any further with to solution I need to know. But no a system restore will not resolve this issue many have tried. Turning off the "Norton Tamper Protection" could work as well. The system restore won't fix the issue. System Restore would not complete while the Tamper Protection was turned on. Usually uninstalling Norton (which you may have because I'm assuming you're running windows vista). Please reply so we can get this fixed for you.

3. aSILENTfire

Oh, sorry I should of specified.

I'm running Windows 7 with Zone Alarm extreme security.

4. DerekC

DerekC

If you are just trying to restore 1 file like your savegame file, there might be an easier way (depending on what Windows services you have turned on). Go to the save game file > Right click > Properties > Then click the "Previous Versions" tab. You will be able to select a previous version of the file if Windows system Restore or Windows backup has a copy.

Doing this will not fix System Restore, so I would still work with VictorialiiCe to get that working again.

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Uninstalling Zone Alarm is your best bet to run a complete System Restore. Norton does have some kind of 'fix' for it. You can always contact Zone alarm but you will most likely have to uninstall it during the restore and re-install after the issue is fixed.

6. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

(y)

7. aSILENTfire

You guys rock!

I got the old savegame back, I didn't know there was a previous version feature!

Thanks!

8. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Awesome! Anytime. Would you mind marking this thread as resolved so other administrators are aware? Have a good evening!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1047037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice