1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Restore Failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JCornell, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JCornell

JCornell Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP (home, SP2). I am unable to get System Restore to work. I have tried it on many restore points from 3 weeks old to 1 day old. I checked the directory and C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\RESTORE\RSTRUI.EXE is in place.

I followed the path All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore. I chose to restore my computer and selected a restore point. The process started and a window opened "restoring files". The computer then re-booted and eventually a window opened "Restoration incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored to (date)."

I don't know when this failure started but I have tried for over a week now.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Usually when this happens there is some corruption of the System Restore archive and it has to be purged and recreated fresh by disabling System Restore, then rebooting and creating a new checkpoint. This doesn't help to restore to any previous date, but may get it fixed for future ones.

But for now, run eventvwr.msc and look under the System log for "SR" and "SRService" errors.

Double click those to view the description and use the double-paper copy icon to copy the descriptions to the clipboard for pasting here.

3. JCornell

JCornell Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. It is appreciated.

No "SR" or SRService" errors in eventvwr.msc log (very interesting site-first time I've heard of or used it).

Purged and recreated System Restore. Program works fine.

Would like to close this thread-but don't know how!

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

No need to close it -- marking it "Solved" is sufficient.

You're most welcome for the help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice