1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Restore: Finding Manual Restore Points

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ashika, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

My comp has been experiencing several problems and is running poorly. I bought an external HD, completely backed up everything important and was about to run a system restore as I had created a manual restore point following the resolution of previous problems. The link to the thread is found below.

However, when I use the system restore wizard, I can only select November 8th, 9th, and 10th...and today is the 10th. I created the manual restore point back in March 2006. I cannot change the month and I have no idea where to find manual points.

Could someone please help me find the restore point I created when my computer was working perfectly?

http://forums.techguy.org/malware-r...s/453201-solved-persistent-spyware-virus.html

2. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

There should be system restore points created automatically too. You should be able to use the arrows above the calender to go back (or forward, but future dates are not accessable yet... darn.)

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

New points replace old points, depending on how much space you allocated. It is gone.

4. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Fantastic...and I mean that in the most sarcastic manner possible. Time for a new computer I suppose.

In order to prevent this from happening in the future, should I create a manual system restore point then turn off system restore to prevent that point from being replaced?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. Turning it off removes all points. There is no way to save restore points past their expiration date. The only thing you can do to keep older points is to make the space allowed as large as possible.

Even if you had managed to save that point, there is little chance that it would have worked. The system can't have too many changes from its current state for a restoration to be possible.

That is why so many of us have imaging software to make exact copies of our drives for restoration purposes.

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

CloneZilla
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    Drive Image XML
    EaseUs Disk Copy
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP

Commercial Apps:

O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

What's the problem with Nov.8th?

7. Ashika

Ashika Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

The problem with Nov 8 is that the problems with my computer started way before Nov 8.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!