1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Restore Not working.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ptc510, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ptc510

ptc510 Thread Starter

Hello all,
    Here is the deal. Gateway computer only about 1 1/2 years old running XP Home SP-2. Tried to do a system restore back to yesterday and it fails. I have tried almost 3 weeks worth of check points but none of them work.Any clue on how to fix this?

2. wacor

wacor Banned

what problem are you having where you need to do a system restore?

3. ptc510

ptc510 Thread Starter

We had a program that was uninstalled improperly. I need to restore back so I can uninstall it properly and re-install a new version of the program. The girl Uninstalled it this morning and it has a program that is linked to it. The 2 programs needed to be removed in a certain order which she did not know but went ahead and did. I need to put it back the way it was so I can do it in the correct order.

4. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

Hi,

There are several reasons this may occur. Let's take a look at Event Viewer for any System Restore logs that may have been created recently that may help us diagnosing the problem.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    Click on System in the left pane.
    Click the gray title “Source” at the top of the source name column in the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the two event here. There’s no need to post duplicate Event ID’s.

How do I use the Event Viewer to search for System Restore logs?
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#EventViewer

Here are some more links for troubleshooting System Restore.

System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

5. ptc510

ptc510 Thread Starter

I just found out that she re-formated the drive and re-installed her Windows. I appreciate your help though.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!