1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: system restore (possibly?) not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shelley, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

I just updated Firefox and hated it (lost too many useful addons). I hoped to backtrack to the previous version by using Windows System Restore. I fired it up and selected a previous date and hit Next. The hard drive whirred but nothing more happened. I expected Windows to check stuff and then automatically reboot. Nothing else was running. I rebooted manually but Firefox remained at the last update. I checked in System Restore and it notes the system did run a restore operation. I tried again taking an earlier date and the same things happened.

Can System Restore actually restore Firefox to a previous version, or have I misunderstood this? How do I know that the restores have actually happened?

In the meantime I've downloaded an earlier version of FF but it's a mess and I keep losing addons.

Any help appreciated.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Why haven't you uninstalled the new version of Firefox and reinstalled the previous one instead of running a System Restore?

3. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Hi, Phanton010.

Maybe because I've misunderstood what System Restore can do. I thought setting the system back to an earlier date would turn back the clock on software updates.

Also, I was worried that by un-installing FF I would lose all my settings, preferences, add-ons, etc. If I can be assured none of that will happen then I'll give it a go.

On the System Restore point, I was still expecting it to DO something, not just hang. It does say that during restoration it will shut down and restart.

4. Phantom010

There is a way to save your Firefox profile.

A System Restore will often mess up programs, depending on the time frame it will be run in, so it shouldn't be used to uninstall a program.

5. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

Hi, Phantom010. I've found how to backup the Firefox Profile and bookmarks. The System Restore didn't work anyway.

6. Phantom010

The procedure is easy to find on Google. You should have asked. ;) :)

Glad you found it. (y)

7. shelley

shelley Thread Starter

I finally got around to re-installing FF. I didn't actually need to back everything up as there is an option to leave personal data intact when un-installing which does actually work. It still isn't back as it was but I've come across this before when un/re-installing FF. You need to wipe the thing completely or you seem to get a mismash of versions.

Another reason was that it's not easy to find old versions, especially not the one-before-last update. Many sites list older versions but most are just outdated web pages where the links still go to the latest version. It would be useful if Mozilla could either provide a 'Try it first', where you can see the changes and decide if you like them, or provide a 'Revert to Previous Version' button, which does exactly as it says.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.

8. Phantom010

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice