1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: System Restore Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by caarlyon, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Hi I have Windows XP, and used to have lots of different restore points on my computer. Now I have only one at a time, usually the same day I am using it. That will disappear the next day and I will have a new one. Which doesn't help a lot when I have a problem.
    If I go to Disc Fragmenter it shows the following:

HP Recovery File System FAT32 Capacity 11.74GB Free Space 13 MB % Free O
    HP Pavilion " " NTFS " 175GB " " 138gb " " 79%

The computer has been prompting me in the lower rh corner saying there is low space on Recovery and asking if I want to recover space on it by deleting files etc., but when I ok that there is nothing showing to remove and nothing happens.

I don't know much about computers, but this looks like there is plenty of space on the computer. How do I make more space for Recovery? I don't know what changed as I used to even be able to go back to previous months for a restore date.

Can you please help me? Thanks.

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  3. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I checked out the link and found the info. for XP. I checked the amount of space I have allotted to restore and recovery and they are both at max. So I assume that I cannot give any more space to either. I still don't understand why I used to be able to access all those restore points. I haven't added that much to the computer.

4. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  5. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Hi again, yes, I was hoping not to have to do that as they are so technical in their replies and don't seem to be able to dumb down for people who are not techies, like me. I also have a bit of an issue with them as they sold me a two year warranty and then would only honor it for the time since I bought the computer. This was a year later so in effect I only got a year's support when they had sold me two. Not an HP fan! Thank you for your input though.

6. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  7. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Thank you, I will try that. :)

8. Hughv

Hughv

9. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Good Morning Hugh Thank you for your input. I have just spent some time reading lots of interesting information through both those links! Followed the instructions and the "annoyance" now seems to be gone! I also reduced the amount on my Restore settings and hope that will help that problem. I appreciate your help, I learned a lot through those sites and have bookmarked them for later!! Thank you again .

10. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Just a note to say that the problem with the annoyance was not solved after all. I am still getting the continual pop up that there is not enough space for system recovery. :(

11. Hughv

Hughv

12. terrawarra

terrawarra

13. caarlyon

caarlyon Thread Starter

Hello Terrawarra down there in Oz (used to live there myself in NSW)

Thank you for your advice. I have downloaded this utility. Nice to get something so well recommended.

Best regards Maggie.

14. terrawarra

terrawarra

Good onya Maggie,.. glad it worked out for you,.. everyone loves a happy ending.

cheers

15. mike77

mike77

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice