Solved: System Restore Problems - Unable to Restore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nightmare

Win XP Home SP2

I am having problems with system restore. When I try to open system restore and restore my system to a previous time, i get this message:

SYSTEM RESTORE IS NOT ABLE TO PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER. PLEASE RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AND THEN RUN SYSTEM RESTORE AGAIN.

When I do just that, the same message comes up again and again.

I next go to the control panel and open up the system properties window. Under the tab System Restore I try to check the box: TURN OF SYSTEM RESTORE FOR ALL DRIVES. I do this to try to clear out the cache or restore points and I get the following message:

YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO TURN OF SYSTEM RESTORE. IF YOU CONTINUE ALL EXISTING RESTORE POINTS WILL BE DELETED, AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRACK AND UNDO CHANGES MADE TO YOUR COMPUTER.

DO YOU WISH TO TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE?

When I hit yes, i get:

SYSTEM RESTORE ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR TRYING TO ENABLE/DISABLE ONE OR MORE DRIVES. PLEASE RESTART YOU MACHING AND TRY AGAIN.

So I restart and the same thing again.

Next I try to disable each of the 2 drives that I have, one by one. My OS is on C: and my storage disk is D: I try to disable D: first and get the following:

STORAGE (D:) IS THE SYSTEM DRIVE. YOU CANNOT TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE ON THIS DRIVE WITHOUT TURNING IR OFF ON ALL DRIVES. TO DO THIS, CLICK OK OR CANCEL TO RETURN TO THE SYSTEM RESTORE TAB.

I hit cancel and select the settings for C: and get the following message when I try to disable system restore:

WINDOWS XP (C:)

YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE ON THIS DRIVE. IF YOU CONTINUE, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRACK OR UNDO HARMFUL CHANGES ON THIS DRIVE.

DO YOU WANT TO TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE ON THIS DRIVE?

I select yes and get:

SYSTEM RESTORE ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR TRYING TO ENABLE/DISABLE ONE OR MORE DRIVES. PLEASE RESTART YOU MACHING AND TRY AGAIN.

(Here we go again)

I can not restore, create a restore point, view a restore point, or do anything elese with system restore. Can someone offer some advice on this?

TIA

To fix the problem try disabling System Restore temporarily.

By checking "Turn off System Restore" in the Control Panel.

Reboot, then enable it, and reboot again.

Nightmare

Dan O said:
To fix the problem try disabling System Restore temporarily.

By checking "Turn off System Restore" in the Control Panel.

Reboot, then enable it, and reboot again.
I

I tried, I cannot. I can not manipulate the System Restore properties at all without an error message.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online