Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: System Restore Stuck

17K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  lisa6447 
#1 ·
Hi
I have just used the Windows update to install everything after service pack 2.
After the update, which was successful, I noticed a couple of features I did not like and thought that if I restored to yesterday I could start again after seeking advice on these pages.
System restore collected its information and shut down. When it restarted it got as far as <System Restore> <Preparing to restore> and froze.
Firstly:- can I shut it down by using control/alt/delete or any other safeish method. If that is not possible and I cut off the power what happens?
Will it be possible to get "Last known good configuration" or will I have to go back to square 1 and reinstall again?
regards
phil

#3 ·
Hi
In some ways the problem has resolved itself. After about 3 hours the screen turned blue and the computer shut down.
Since then it will not load Windows, The first Windows screen appears but after about half of its duration the computer shuts down and reboots.
I have tried <start windows normally> <last known good settings> and <safe mode>. All the same result.
It gets worse !!
The motherboard has stopped recognising the hard drive, neither the one which had windows on it or any other hard drive.
I shall investigate further and will probably start a new post in hardware.
regards
phil

#4 ·
Ok, here is good tech advice, obviously because your posting here, you have access to another computer, what you want to do is back up the data on your hard drive BEFORE you reinstall windows. To Do So, you will need a boot disc, and flash drive (Pick one large enough for your files), or you can use an external hard drive (go to the store and get one) depending upon your needs (how much space in files you have).

Get This Boot Disc... (It's Free!)

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Resinstalling windows may be the only option you have at this point.

MAKE SURE You plug in the Hard Drive or Flash Drive WHILE the computer is off, BEFORE you load up the boot CD.

You may need to set the boot order in your bios (you usually press delete to enter bios at startup) Make you CD/DVD Drive FIRST in the order. Save Changes before you exit, put the Boot CD In the CD Drive. (while in the bios, before you save and exit)

This will allow you to access the files, using a file manager, and the other drive you have inserted, simply drag and drop. Don't forget your Local Settings/ User Account Folder (you may need to show hidden files, select Tools, Options, Show Hidden Files (check mark it))

Hope this is helpful in solving your problems.

#7 ·
Hi All
Thank you for your input.
After playing for a while I decided that the problem was mainly hardware. I shall be starting another post to try and solve that.
The advice re flash drives and backups does not apply here. This was a completely fresh install and there is nothing that matters on the drive except the time spent in installing the o/s and my favourite software.
If you are into hardware please look out initially for a post entitled <PSU voltages>
Thank you again
regards
phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.